Gallipoli World War 1 wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

judyo1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've seen a local dive trip advertised to Gallipoli to dive the World War 1 wrecks. From a historical perspective it sounds incredible. I understand the wrecks have more recently opened up to divers, but I'm struggling to find information and probably more importantly for me, reviews. The proposed trip is a liveaboard on a Gulet.. I've seen very nice looking pictures of the boat. What I can't seem to find information on is how good the diving actually is. Depth limit on the trip will be 40m. The only review I could find was this one, which wasn't exactly encouraging about the diving (or anything for that matter). What A Shambles Does anyone have any recent experience of diving in the area. Cheers

So it's ok to go and walk the fields where many died to try to gain an understanding of it might have been like, but it's not ok to dive on a site of the same action.

As an Australian, as long as you show appropriate reverence for the place you are visiting, I have no problem.

To be clear, the Gallipoli penninsula is a site of extreme cultural and historical significance (to me personally, to kiwis & Aussies, to the Turkish people whose casualties in the Gallipoli campaign exceeded those of the Allied forces) and if the diving wasn't organised with the appropriate respect such a site deserves, then I wouldn't be interested. GIven how immaculately the war graves were presented and kept when I was last in Gallipoli, (admittedly 12 years ago) and the importance of the penninsula to the Turkish people, I would be surprised if diving permits would be granted if the region wasn't respected.
However.... I just can't find any information on the diving...

Don't worry Wingy, I have a way of making perfectly normal ideas seem out of place :poke:

Ha thanks Mate - don't all we Aussies? Leaving the Banda Sea, flying for 4 days, driving across Europe by myself in snow to get to Colditz for rememberance day to read in Flanders Field seemed like a perfectly normal thing to do too lol - wasn't quite as easy as I'd imagined but made it :)

Thanks also to you Judy

I am Bermo, an Egyptian MBA student, I am conducting a research for my International marketing course.
Please take part in this important survey measuring your preferences pertaining diving activities and destinations.
This survey aiming to gain your thoughts and opinions in order to enhance your overall diving experience and define your destination choices. This survey should only take 4-5 minutes to complete .

please click on the survey link below.

https://goo.gl/forms/wwMX9jjoBprs3qnB2

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom