Galileo Sol screen protectors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

montage

Registered
Reaction score
The screen protector on my Galileo Sol is getting pretty scratched, does anyone know where to get replacements?

-d

Your local scubapro/uwatec dealer can get you one. Probably about 20 bucks. Mine is all scratched to hell, can barely read it topside, but the scratches disappear completely under water. I just pop the protector off if I need to read it topside.

Agree w/ stevead. BTW, some dealers I talked to have never seen a galileo, so as with anything you might benefit from calling around first.

Mine came w/ 2 protectors - a hard plastic piece that sits off the actual screen plus a soft 'pda-like' film that is attached to the actual screen. I don't use the film version - killed a pda once and figure it might be the same minimal protection - but you might like it. I did use my oakley sunglasses microfiber cleaning cloth that supposedly "buffs out" scratches in oakley lenses and it minimally reduced the galileo protector scratches.

- s.d

I think its worth sharing, the plastic screen cover of my Galileo SOL is still original and no scratch is visbible, like new. I had my Galileo since early 2008,

How? Buy a Zagg Invisible shield (Universal Size) from online or from "Best Buy" and stick it to the face of the plastic screen cover, follow Zagg's installation procedure, once set, trim the shield with exacto knife, just follow the edges of the cover.

Zag also makes cut to fit screen protectors for the Sol/Luna, mine has been on for 2 years.

Agree w/ stevead. BTW, some dealers I talked to have never seen a galileo, so as with anything you might benefit from calling around first.

Mine came w/ 2 protectors - a hard plastic piece that sits off the actual screen plus a soft 'pda-like' film that is attached to the actual screen. I don't use the film version - killed a pda once and figure it might be the same minimal protection - but you might like it. I did use my oakley sunglasses microfiber cleaning cloth that supposedly "buffs out" scratches in oakley lenses and it minimally reduced the galileo protector scratches.

- s.d

I recently ordered a replacement protector (the hard plastic) from my LDS and their suggestion was to replace that film that was on it to begin with. Apparently, it can be purchased on the cheap at office supply shops, but I haven't confirmed this yet.

I figured this was a cheaper and easier option than buying several bottles of plastic polish and spending a lot of time buffing out all the scratches on mine.

If / when I replace my SOL's guard I'll definitely buy a Zagg protector for it. I've beat the crud out of it during cave training.. The screen and metal. Imagine that. :wink: Thankfully it still works.

$6.30 for the Adhesive Screen Guard for Galileo
$23.40 for the regular style

That's 10% off Scubapro list - maximum discount we can offer!

Reactions: Jax

Reviving a nearly 3 year old thread rather than starting a new one;

I am replacing the scratched plastic Protection cover on my Galileo Sol and deciding whether to

1) just replace it with another plastic snap-in cover

2) use the 3M Adhesive Plastic Screen Guard

3) Replace it with another plastic snap-in cover with a universal screen protector over it.

Recommendation or preference?

The plastic Snap-On cover seems to scratch very easily. I am not sure if universal screen protectors attach well to plastic and if they do,how well they hold up in salt water. I think I’ll try it since they are not difficult to take off but wonder if others have tried and had success.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I prefer to use the 3M Adhesive Plastic Screen Guard that comes w/ the Sol.

It lasts a very long time.

Also it doesn't get water behind it.

Back
Top Bottom