Galileo Luna and SOL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Do the Galileo luna and SOL communicate with each other? My husband and I are looking to get one of each and it looked like they both have the same features with the exception of the HRM and PGM, but are they able to see each other's air levels?

The two computers don't communicate with each other, but they can each sense both of your transmitters, using the buddy gas feature.
Hold down the middle button for >2 sec and the gas panel appears. You can see both pressures there before splashing.
In the Full display, there is a small window for buddy gas which will display continuously, and in the Standard display you can see your buddy's gas with a couple of More pushes.

Until we switched to Shearwater, my wife and I used to use a pair of Galileos and could watch each others' tanks. Good safety backup for us when one of us was distracted with photography for an extended period.

The two computers don't communicate with each other, but they can each sense both of your transmitters, using the buddy gas feature.
Hold down the middle button for >2 sec and the gas panel appears. You can see both pressures there before splashing.
In the Full display, there is a small window for buddy gas which will display continuously, and in the Standard display you can see your buddy's gas with a couple of More pushes.

Until we switched to Shearwater, my wife and I used to use a pair of Galileos and could watch each others' tanks. Good safety backup for us when one of us was distracted with photography for an extended period.

Oh, so the transmitters aren't specifically for the luna or the SOL. The luna can read both transmitters and the SOL can also read both transmitters? (let me know if I am misunderstanding your response)

Thanks! That helps!

That's correct! Same transmitter for both.
Check the manual for how to pair the primary and the buddy (and of course, the converse for your husband's). The only problem is that if you want to pair a different transmitter, I think you need to unpair through the computer interface. It's a little bit of a pain.

I use a Luna with the PMG option. The Sol has the PMG option. You can pair four different transmitters. T1, T2, TD and Buddy. I use T1 and T2 for sidemount. TD is used for a deco gas and Buddy is my wife's transmitter. I have to stay within about 1 1/2 meters of her, on the side where the transmitter is located in order to read her gas. I don't really need to do that, however, because she has very zen-like breathing and will always end the dive with twice as much gas as I do.

Do the Galileo luna and SOL communicate with each other? My husband and I are looking to get one of each and it looked like they both have the same features with the exception of the HRM and PGM, but are they able to see each other's air levels?
I replied above but have a question for you. Why would you choose the Luna or Sol? The data download is obsolete IRDA technology. Have you looked at the Shearwater Teric or Perdix AI? They will do what you want and their technology is far more advanced and the retail cost is about the same. The Shearwater support is far better than ScubaPro.

The computers do not communicate between each other, rather they each can be set up to reach your own transmitter and your buddy's, as mentioned above.

The Luna and Sol are nice computers. The Sol is no longer offered by Scubapro. There was a significant difference between the two when they first came out. The Luna, however, can be upgraded, via software, to function just like the Sol.

There have been a couple of mentions for the Shearwater. I used to use the Luna and now use the G2 (follow on to the Luna) and Shearwater's Perdix AI. I like both computers. Each has its own pros and cons. For example, the G2 is more intuitive to work with. The Perdix has a slightly bigger screen making it a bit easier to read. Right now, both computers are similar in price. At the end of December the G2 sale will end which will make it more expensive than the Perdix.

Another thing about the Scubapro transmitters - they are proprietary - whereas Shearwater uses transmitters that work with many different computers. You don't have to purchase the transmitters that Shearwater sells, you can use an Aqualung transmitter that is much cheaper.

Another thing about the Scubapro transmitters - they are proprietary - whereas Shearwater uses transmitters that work with many different computers. You don't have to purchase the transmitters that Shearwater sells, you can use an Aqualung transmitter that is much cheaper.

Part of this is accurate and part is not.

One can say Scubapro's transmitter is proprietary since it can't be used with other computers. Same holds true with Suunto comuputers and its pods. Shearwater's transmitter look like Aqualung's and Oceanic's. Most likely they can be used with the perspective brands; I can't say because I haven't tried or at least witnessed it first hand.

Cost for the transmitters from a quick Google search:
Scubapro - $380
Aqualung - $399
Suunto - $439.95
Oceanic - $399.95
Shearwater - $350
Aqualung's is $19 more than Scubapro's. The Shearwater transmitter is $30 cheaper. The price difference does not make a great deal of difference when buying the computer with the transmitter. It can make a difference when buying multiple transmitters.

Why would you choose the Luna or Sol? The data download is obsolete IRDA technology. Have you looked at the Shearwater Teric or Perdix AI? They will do what you want and their technology is far more advanced and the retail cost is about the same. The Shearwater support is far better than ScubaPro.
Perhaps the OP got a great deal from her LDS or she is purchasing both on the secondary market.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom