Galileo G2 Heart Rate monitor goes crazy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Federico222

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
I'm experiencing wrong data with the heart rate monitor of Galileo G2 bundle.
The problem is simple, usually at the end of the dive, starting from the deep stop, the computer starts to give wrong and exaggerated heart rate such as 250 per minute for a couple of minutes... that... if was for real... I won't be there to write this forum post :-D

Any help to find out the bug or the solution?

I hate to say it but this is precisely why a propriety algorithm that incorporates Heart Rate is bad. Who know what it thinks is going on and what effect/penalty subsequent dives will incur. When I had a G2 the heart rate monitor worked 20% of the time and I had to send it to Scubapro twice and it just never worked as advertised.

I hate to say it but this is precisely why a propriety algorithm that incorporates Heart Rate is bad. Who know what it thinks is going on and what effect/penalty subsequent dives will incur. When I had a G2 the heart rate monitor worked 20% of the time and I had to send it to Scubapro twice and it just never worked as advertised.

So the only solution is to send it back to Scubapro?
It's really strange by the way... heart rate monitoring is something that exists from almost 20 years... should be a quite "stable" tecnology...

what a shame...!

Except that today’s reliable heart rate monitors don’t work in the water...try it. Scubapro has to use older technologies to work in the water...which are less reliable.

yes... but... you know... they "claim" to put heart rate in the algorithm...
it's dangerous, it's criminal to put such thing if you know that the tecnology is not reliable!

Also, just think another person looking at the heart rate of 230... someone can become anxious...!

I've had my share of frustrations with the HR monitor of the G2. It worked great on my old Galileo Sol, but the with the G2 it's temperamental.

I complained to ScubaPro and to their credit they replaced the strap a few months ago. After replacement it worked perfectly for one dive, then was mostly cut out on the second dive.

I complained again and got a reply from Dan Knauss of Scubapro: He said most likely the HRM is not being wet enough (though I use it under a 7mm wetsuit). I accepted that as a possible explanation as I had no choice, and bought a tube of Spectra 360 Electride Gel- Parker Laboratories. Applied liberally on next dive and found readings all over the place from 170 to 84 to no readings--obviously spurious. So on my last dive I applied the gel very sparingly and it worked perfectly throughout the dive. I tested it first on the surface after suiting up and it maintained the readings.

So while I don't have a definitive answer and don't have enough dives with the thing working right to be sure, it seems the contact at the electrode may be very temperamental and rubbing a very thin layer of the Electrode Gel on the scaly contacts is worth a try. The gel is only $6 for a pack of three tubes. You can practice on land to test if it works.

Regarding the algorithm altering with the HR, I believe you can turn that off in the settings if the HRM does not work right.

Adam

I've had my share of frustrations with the HR monitor of the G2. It worked great on my old Galileo Sol, but the with the G2 it's temperamental.

I complained to ScubaPro and to their credit they replaced the strap a few months ago. After replacement it worked perfectly for one dive, then was mostly cut out on the second dive.

I complained again and got a reply from Dan Knauss of Scubapro: He said most likely the HRM is not being wet enough (though I use it under a 7mm wetsuit). I accepted that as a possible explanation as I had no choice, and bought a tube of Spectra 360 Electride Gel- Parker Laboratories. Applied liberally on next dive and found readings all over the place from 170 to 84 to no readings--obviously spurious. So on my last dive I applied the gel very sparingly and it worked perfectly throughout the dive. I tested it first on the surface after suiting up and it maintained the readings.

So while I don't have a definitive answer and don't have enough dives with the thing working right to be sure, it seems the contact at the electrode may be very temperamental and rubbing a very thin layer of the Electrode Gel on the scaly contacts is worth a try. The gel is only $6 for a pack of three tubes. You can practice on land to test if it works.

Regarding the algorithm altering with the HR, I believe you can turn that off in the settings if the HRM does not work right.

Adam

It’s complete junk...it’s possible the air inside the HRM under pressure cause loss of battery signal....but overall it’s complete unreliable junk...one the main reasons I sold my G2 after several HRM replacements.

It’s complete junk...it’s possible the air inside the HRM under pressure cause loss of battery signal....but overall it’s complete unreliable junk...one the main reasons I sold my G2 after several HRM replacements.

That may an overreaction as even if the HRM does not work at all you can just not use it and turn that function off in the settings. The computer itself is fine and tracts closely the older 8 tissue Buhlmann algorithm of my Aladdin Tec 3G. No other computer has a HRM functions so you're not losing anything by turning it off.

The G2 offers some important advantages over the Perdix AI even without the HRM.

That may an overreaction as even if the HRM does not work at all you can just not use it and turn that function off in the settings. The computer itself is fine and tracts closely the older 8 tissue Buhlmann algorithm of my Aladdin Tec 3G. No other computer has a HRM functions so you're not losing anything by turning it off.

The G2 offers some important advantages over the Perdix AI even without the HRM.

but you pay extra for a HRM strap that simply doesn’t work and it should. Scubapro knows this and still markets it as an adaptive algorithm that can integrate the HRM...they simply should not do that since it isn’t reliable.

And that being said they should just issue a firmware update that uses the ZHL-16C algorithm that is optional in the HUD and forgot the adaptive model.

Back
Top Bottom