Galapagos - When to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjacobsen22

Registered
Reaction score
I really want to go to the Galapagos Islands, but because of the possible El Nino, I am unsure about when to book for !!
I have the options of going this summer(july) and 2010 (july or december), but I do not know if that would be stupid, as the El Nino COULD worsen the diving severely at those times
Has anybody else been in this dilemma, or have in-depth knowledge about it, I would really appreciate advice !!
Best, Jonas

I have the options of going this summer(july) and 2010 (july or december),

I think you'd have a great trip going in July either this year or in 2010. We did a July trip about 4 years ago during an El Nino and had a great trip. We liked it so much that we went back to the Galapagos last year as well.

Your chances of seeing Whale Sharks are much better in July than they are in December, so I would aim for the summer months (unless you don't like Whale Sharks). :D

For more information on our trips:

2008 Galapagos Trip Report

2004 Galapagos Trip Report

The best time for diving in the Galapagos is July-November. In 2008 most of the whale shark sightings were August to late November. There were even sightings early December. I was there in Sept. 2008, first wee, and we had only two whale shark sightings in the week but had plenty of hammerheads, galapagos sharks, manta rays and ven orcas on one safety stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom