Galapagos - September 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My biggest problem with Astrea is their dive deck or lack thereof. I question a couple of dive guides they have used, but that is subject to change and a couple they currently use are fine. The dive deck is a duplex out of necessity. There is a compact area of tanks and dive stations and no room for wetsuits which must be hung upstairs on the 2nd deck. I think their cabins are fine. I personally have no issue with bunk beds as long as you can sit up on the top bunk. I prefer them when sharing with a stranger as you don't have to look at each other so it provides a bit of privacy that side by side berths don't. Heads are fine. Flooring is new teak. Salon and dining areas are just fine. There is not a ton of outdoor common space primarily due to the need to hang wetsuits on upper deck. It's not fancy, by any means, but I really like the owner and hope he does have enough departures in 2016 to finally expand the dive deck out back to make it a real dive deck.

We only recently began offering the boat, after intentionally not doing so for the last 3 years, as they have a new sales partner who made enough investments to bring it up to par in terms of motors and generators, etc. I'm rooting for them as I think a more economical option in Galapagos is needed.

Thanks for the reply, that eases my mind.

I have booked for both a naturalist week followed by a dive week. I did have the impression it would be an 'economical' option and am okay with that. On the last live-aboard I was on we routinely took our wetsuits to the upper deck for doning so this will likely be the same. We had 20 divers on a 72foot boat, so room was tight.

They seem to have a lot of bookings, in fact I am told it is booked out from July to December. We had to move dates to get births.

TB

Can you tell me if Astrea insists on paying with Paypal or wire transfer? I'm a little concerned that I can't use a credit card.

Hi TB,

I just came across your post and I was wondering how your Galapagos trip on the Astrea was. Would you recommend the boat? And how was the diving; did you see big schools of hammerheads? I would love to hear about the trip!

Claire

Hi
Would you recommend the boat? Yes, but I am interested in the diving and not to concerned with 5* service/facilities. Saying that the food was great, the boat is comfortable and the cabins all have ensuite. We had a 'top' deck cabin, so it was bright and airy. The mid-deck cabin is the latest.

And how was the diving; did you see big schools of hammerheads? Yes, plenty of hammer heads at Wolf and Darwin. I was getting a bit over seeing hammer heads, but there were other dives at those locations to see other things.

Thanks so much for your reply!
I also don't care about 5* facilities; I usually go for the best diving and the best price:) Astrea sounds good then, I'd say/

It sounds like you had an amazing trip. Plenty of hammerheads; does that mean school of >100? And did you sea whale sharks?

Thanks so much for your reply!
I also don't care about 5* facilities; I usually go for the best diving and the best price:) Astrea sounds good then, I'd say/

It sounds like you had an amazing trip. Plenty of hammerheads; does that mean school of >100? And did you sea whale sharks?
We saw many hammer heads, not school as big as 100! There where lots in the waters, but they only come very close at times! We had silky sharks as well.
And we did have Whale Sharks on 2 dives at Darwin. I was luck and in the path of the Whale Shark as it came through so had a great swim with it!

Back
Top Bottom