Galapagos - October 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hammerhead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Well, two years after I first booked the trip, I finally ended up walking in Darwin's footsteps. Why the silly sod never learnt to dive, I'll never know :)

This has been a burning desire of mine since my early 'teens and so I can rightly say that I fulfilled a life's ambition.

Needless to say, it's never as easy as all that.

I now work in North Africa, and had to send my underwater housing / strobes etc. by sea mail to my new address when I left home (Hong Kong). The delays that followed of course meant that I never received the container before heading out to Ecuador.

Diving holiday of a lifetime and no camera to record it is not a good thing. No way was I going to go that far and not get a couple of shots.

Luckily I have very good friends, and this time, both friends and strangers went the extra yard to help me out.

In the 10 days before my departure, I had different people buying things for me in Hong Kong, Singapore and Japan. All of these were then transported by the buyers to Ecuador on my behalf.

Net result was that my Canon 5D stayed in the house, and I took delivery of a brand new Canon G9 with Ikelite housing and Inon stobes on arrival in Ecuador.

Where I live now, there's no way I could have bought the equipment I needed, so the fact that these photos are here is 99% thanks to them. I just try to point the camera in the right direction.

Two board members, pakman and Wolverine were supposed to come, but had to cancel. Whilst I enjoy rubbing peoples noses in it as much as the next insensitive prick; fellers, I really wish you could have come.

Here we go. There's a lot to go through.

All shots are pretty much as they came out of the camera.

Edit. Because I am anally retentive to some degree, the pics follow a sort of order as follows: -

Scenery

Seals

Birds

Reptiles

Crabs (1 shot)

Seals underwater

Turtles

Rays

Whalesharks

Other sharks

Hammerheads :D

Rum (1 shot)

End (1 shot)

Me (1 shot)

I hope you enjoy them; it's a magical place.

Cheers.

Last edited:
A bit of topside stuff to set the scene

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Seals, no shortage of the cute fishy-smelling buggers in Galapagos. That's for sure!

005a.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

They're also a pretty lazy bunch out of the water (more of the in-water stuff later).

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

More of them...

016.jpg

017.jpg

Cute little ones

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

Enough seals, time for some birds: -

021a.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

And some more...

027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

And the most anomalous bird on the planet (maybe) the Galapagos penguin.

031.jpg

Reptile time. Land lizard, land and sea iguanas in no particular order...

033.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

036.jpg

037.jpg

038.jpg

and more

039.jpg

040.jpg

041.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg