Trip Report Galápagos May/June Tiburon Explorer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scared Silly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just got off the Tiburon Explorer and will give it a big thumbs up. I am not going to into deep details as I am about to get on another boat for a week of land tours.

We and everyone we talked with said the Tiburon was far above other live aboard boats done in the past. Many superlatives, which they worked to earn. The crew is very attentive to the guests needs. Great three star meals each day. Not just for dinner but also lunch. Everything was very fresh. Easy boat to be on and get on and off for the dinghy rides.

The diving was good, only two dives were subpar. One with an unexpected mixing current at Landside on Wolf. The next two dives made up for it with multiple whale shark encounters. The other was too many people along the wall due to a second boat. Overall decent visibly and good hammerhead action. Plus whale sharks on about half of the dives in the north. We dove 7mm suits and felt they were the right thickness. No hood but a cap might have been nice on few dives. Garden gloves for currents and grabbing rocks.

Side note: if you dive like us with ONLY weight pockets. Consider a weight belt. When getting back on the dinghy one passes their weights, then rig, then fins, before going up the ladder. We are used to passing fins and then just going up the ladder.

The vis and conditions were such that I decided to leave my camera rig. There were only a few shots that I felt I missed like the marine iguanas. But then again I enjoyed the freedom.

Jennifer who coordinates things for Explorer Ventures was a great help. Dom at Dive Advice who we did our booking gets our kudos. I have not used a booking agent in years. Working with Dom has been great and I definitely use him again.

Finally I will say that right now the Galápagos are very quiet. It is nice. Not sure I could be here during the main seasons. We stayed on Santa Cruz and San Cristobal and did some land tours plus a day trip Espanola.

Thanks for the report. We're headed there in January. Glad you got to see the marine iguanas. The last few trips with pangas we did hand up our weight pockets. Not too bad but the crew dropped one of mine into the deep blue sea when moving them from the panga to the main boat. After that, I took mine myself when exiting the pangas. We looked at the Tiburon at DEMA in 2019 for this trip. It did look great but for our LDS group, a bit over our price point. I'm curious what would be bad for you if it gets more crowded...the diving, the land tours or both?
Thanks again for posting.

Rob

Fine report. The Tiburon Explorer is a rather new option, so I imagine reviews of it will be extra helpful. Good to see! The Galapagos rock!

We looked at the Tiburon at DEMA in 2019 for this trip. It did look great but for our LDS group, a bit over our price point. I'm curious what would be bad for you if it gets more crowded...the diving, the land tours or both?

The Galapagos are expensive and I believe the Tiburon is at the top of the pricing. But for that you are paying for additional crew and amenities that one would not get on other boats. Given its price point it will be interesting to see whether shops book it.

We initially had not booked on the Tiburon but on the Humboldt. But we got an offer to jump ship and it worked with our schedule. One person booked it on Wednesday, flew Friday and got on the boat Saturday. He flew home the following Saturday. He got a last minute deal that was not unlike ours. The benefit of being independent divers.

Right now many trips have discounts so to pick up traffic as the area is quiet. IMHO the dive sites are quite limited in the Galapagos. So more than two boats on a site is crowded. We did a land tour today with 11 people and met one group of 15-20 people from a naturalist boat was probably half full. Meeting another group that size would have been fine but a third would have detracted from the excursion.

Just got off the Tiburon Explorer and will give it a big thumbs up. I am not going to into deep details as I am about to get on another boat for a week of land tours.

We and everyone we talked with said the Tiburon was far above other live aboard boats done in the past. Many superlatives, which they worked to earn. The crew is very attentive to the guests needs. Great three star meals each day. Not just for dinner but also lunch. Everything was very fresh. Easy boat to be on and get on and off for the dinghy rides.

The diving was good, only two dives were subpar. One with an unexpected mixing current at Landside on Wolf. The next two dives made up for it with multiple whale shark encounters. The other was too many people along the wall due to a second boat. Overall decent visibly and good hammerhead action. Plus whale sharks on about half of the dives in the north. We dove 7mm suits and felt they were the right thickness. No hood but a cap might have been nice on few dives. Garden gloves for currents and grabbing rocks.

Side note: if you dive like us with ONLY weight pockets. Consider a weight belt. When getting back on the dinghy one passes their weights, then rig, then fins, before going up the ladder. We are used to passing fins and then just going up the ladder.

The vis and conditions were such that I decided to leave my camera rig. There were only a few shots that I felt I missed like the marine iguanas. But then again I enjoyed the freedom.

Jennifer who coordinates things for Explorer Ventures was a great help. Dom at Dive Advice who we did our booking gets our kudos. I have not used a booking agent in years. Working with Dom has been great and I definitely use him again.

Finally I will say that right now the Galápagos are very quiet. It is nice. Not sure I could be here during the main seasons. We stayed on Santa Cruz and San Cristobal and did some land tours plus a day trip Espanola.
Thank you for the trip report! We just booked this liveaboard!

Back
Top Bottom