Galapagos Liveaboard Recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can anyone give any ideas on the differences of these various boats? From my first glancing they have similar itineraries and similar pricing (within ~10%). I am looking into a trip. Diving is of utmost importance to me. Dive-Dive-Dive.

We have a Galapagos Liveaboard Comparison Chart in addition to an Itinerary Chart. Maybe that would be a start. Granted, intangibles don't fit in a chart and new permits should be issued next week for 2012 -which might mean some itinerary changes. I say should because it's not unusual for the Park to run late even though permits run Feb 1 - Jan 31 each year.

Any of these liveaboard go to cleaning stations where the big animals come to get groomed?

Thanks! Great chart. So whats the diving like at Cabo Marshall dives ? Cause you give this up if you do the boats with more Darwin/Wolf.

I think Cabo Marshall dives depend enormously on your guide. I had always had close up encounters with mantas, Galapagos sharks, sea lions, and the vast schools of salemas that envelope a diver enough for it to appear you entered a cave while from the outside of the school, the only evidence a diver was inside were the bubbles above the school. However, also went once when we swam hard against the current just to see a school of barracuda (which was usually present towards the safety stop on other dives). Rest of the dive produced little else and you really don't need to ever swim against a strong current. There are different locations at Cabo Marshall which is a relative large area, thus me saying the quality of Cabo Marshall has a lot to do with your dive guide.

Some are trying to get Cabo Marshall as an option one day. Sometimes, during high season, the visibility can be horrible at Cabo Marshall...I have received reports from guides that the viz was as low as 3 meters, but if I recall correctly, that was during the el nino/la nina event when the water is green and chunky everywhere. Since the water is much colder in la nina, more Orcas were present at many sites, so bad viz or no, had guide/client reports of watching Orcas prey on mantas during safety stop at Cabo Marshall. That would compensate for an otherwise lackluster dive, no?

Most 2012 itineraries should be out next week.

Aggressor are offering a 25% discount discount off some dates. For some, the advantage of Humboldt Explore and Deep Blue is that they currently spend 4 full days at Darwin & Wolf, but that maybe subject to change when the GNP issue new permits. If you want the availbility then take a look at my website or send me a note for latest update. dom@diveadvice.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom