Galapagos in Sept/Oct?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

puncho

Contributor
Reaction score
So I had some vacation time open up suddenly, seeing if I can get a last minute deal for Galapagos liveaboard. I know it's whale shark season there, but honestly I'm not too interested in seeing them. I'm more interested in seeing hammerheads (which I believe the best time is in May/June?), rays, large schools of fish, penguins?, dolphins, etc. Would Sept/Oct still be a decent time to see those or would you recommend waiting until spring/summer? Thanks!

Hi Puncho!

I would consider any time between June and December to be an ideal time to dive in the Galapagos. At this time the water is cold, but that attracts the big stuff, including the hammerhead sharks. You should be right in the middle of peak diving season during your vacation. However, that also means it’s the most expensive time to enjoy a liveaboard.

On Diviac, we still have several openings for Galapagos liveaboards during those months. We are also featuring a special on the MV Galapagos Sky.

If you aren’t committed to going to the Galapagos, you might also consider a trip to Cocos Island in Costa Rica. This liveaboard-only destination is considered by many to have the world’s best hammerhead shark diving.

Let us know if you need any additional information.

Hi Puncho - for most experienced divers, including myself, the prime time to dive Galapagos is from June thru November when the cooler waters of the Humboldt current bring in cold nutrient rich waters from the Antarctic. The very peak months of that season are Aug/Sep/Oct and it does not get any better than this. This is most famed as being the season for whale sharks but it is also the time when all the big animals are out in numbers and you feel like you are at parade with huge numbers of hammerheads, galapagos, silkies, dolphins, jacks, eagle rays and a multiple pregnant female whale sharks that are probably the largest they see anywhere in the world - literally 15 metre behemoths that swim gently past you as you approach them within touching distance. It is perhaps one of those ultimate experience. Just heard from our group on the GPS Master that got back today and they say it is better than they have ever seen it. We do have two trips next month with spaces due to last minuet cancelation and I'll be happy to offer you a great deal if you contact me offline.

I would not wait until Spring - with the current La Nina, conditions are better than they have been in years.

Dominick Macan
Dive Advice Travel
dom@diveadvice.com
www.diveadvice.com
Tel: +33 492 94 02 99 (France)

http://www.diveadvice.com/liveaboard-availability … for up-to-date liveaboard availability worldwide

"In Partnership with Amazing Adventures Travel of Mill Valley, California"

Back
Top Bottom