Trip Report Galapagos -- Aqua Liveaboard, June 2024

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nippurmagnum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
(Part 1 of 2)

I thought I'd share a few notes from a trip on the Aqua (AKA Pinguino Explorer) liveaboard in early June 2024. This was my first experience in the Galapagos, and is written from the point of view of a first-time diver there.

SUMMARY: I was unsure what to expect in June, but we encountered spectacular marine life, including half a dozen whale sharks, innumerable hammerheads, Galapagos sharks, mantas, around 20 mola mola, countless marine iguana, sea lions and fur seals. We also encountered orcas, false killer whales, and penguins from the boat. Some divers encountered schooling mobulas and even a tiger shark.

The seas were largely flat, and the crossings to Wolf and Darwin were gentle. Visibility at Darwin was outstanding, at over 100 feet, somewhat less at Wolf, and much more limited at other islands -- with as little as 10-20 foot visibility when diving with mantas and marine iguanas, but good enough for what we encountered. Water temps ranged from 78 degrees at Darwin to 62 degrees when diving with molas at Isabela. We had surge and current to contend with, but it was manageable. The Aqua liveaboard had very good divemasters, an efficient crew, great food, and comfortable common areas, though cabins were tiny and the dive deck somewhat crowded, but overall it was a great value/price proposition.

THOUGHTS ON DIVING IN GALAPAGOS IN JUNE: In booking the trip, I had trepidations about diving Galapagos the first week of June, because it was during the transition from the "high visibility/warm water/limited marine life" warm season to the "low visibility/cold water/awesome marine life" cool season. Would I get crappy visibility and not much to see? Or get the best of both worlds? Would the transition of an El Nino to a La Nina be a factor? As it turns out, on this trip all the stars aligned for us -- flat seas, good viz, whale sharks, molas, mantas, and hammerheads all near the surface, manageable currents/surge, and pleasant temperatures above water. I have no idea whether this is par for the course for early June, or whether we just got lucky, but I offer it as a data point, and your mileage may vary. (On the Aqua, they mentioned that the previous week (in late May) they'd had sightings of whale sharks at Darwin, the first of the season.) I will say that some liveaboards were discounting trips in June by up to 20 percent, which makes me think that there must be divers unwilling to risk diving in the "transition" month, and that there must be instances where the stars don't necessarily align. Based on my experience, I wouldn't hesitate to go back in June, though I might book a trip a little later in the month, for a little more "insurance" on the cool season kicking in.

While the water temperatures were as high at 78 F at Darwin, they varied throughout the week and were as low as 62 F. I wore a 7 mm wet suit, with hooded vest, 7 mm boots, and Hammerhead lobster gloves, and was fine with that throughout the week. I wore more lead that normal to ensure quick negative entries, which were often called for. Because the hammerheads, whale sharks, dolphins, and rays tended to hang out in the first 50 feet of water, our dives tended not to be deeper than 60 feet, the main exception being the mola dives, which were as deep as 100 feet. I can see how the trip would have been quite different if the pelagics were hanging out deeper.

THOUGHTS ON LOGISTICS OF TRAVEL TO THE GALAPAGOS FROM THE USA:

I had never been to Ecuador, and in my mind's eye, the Galapagos were unpopulated and something of a mystery in terms of logistics. I called Liveaboard.com and Martin (a fellow Argentine) took my call. Martin had been to the Galapagos twice, and gave me great advice. Based on his general advice, I booked a flight on Avianca from Washington DC to Baltra airport in the Galapagos, with connections in Bogota and Guayaquil (where I spent the night at a cheap but pleasant hotel near the airport, the DC hotel), arriving in Baltra two days before the liveaboard sailing date. I took a ferry from the Baltra Airport to the island of Santa Cruz, and stayed at a lovely AirBNB in Puerto Ayora, the main town in Santa Cruz, $120 a night with two bedrooms and bathrooms, far more than what I needed but thoroughly enjoyable.

The AirBNB owner arranged for me to do a highlands tour of the tortoise preserve on the way from the airport to Puerto Ayora, which saved time and money. The next day I devoted to exploring Tortuga Bay, which was one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen, and had some spectacular snorkeling, with marine iguanas in a shallow wading area at the end of Playa Brava, and large turtles and dozens of whitetip reef sharks in the mangroves on the far side of Playa Mansa (a little unnerving because of the low visibility, but that's why the juvenile sharks hang out there). I also snorkeled at the beach across from the Charles Darwin Research Station, which had countless marine iguanas and Sally Lightfoot crabs on the rocks, as well as blue herons and sea lions on the beach. I had some great meals at Midori Sushi Bar and Al Mar restaurants in Puerto Ayora, and enjoyed hanging out at the pier in Puerto Ayora, which had blacktip reef sharks attracted by blue lights in the pier, as well as pelicans diving into the water in acrobatic fishing moves. The following morning I took a taxi, again arranged by the AirBNB owner, back to the ferry to the Baltra airport, and met the other liveaboard divers at the airport at 11 am. From there, the Aqua team took care of everything until the end of the trip, when they dropped us off at the Baltra airports for our return flights. All in all, it was very easy.

One takeaway for me from planning this trip is that it's well worth the time to call Liveaboard.com for advice, rather than to just email. On the phone, their agents are extremely helpful, knowledgeable, and happy to provide frank advice. Via email, communications with them is slow, terse, and heavily focused on getting you to provide a credit card number.

Ecuador uses the U.S. Dollar as its currency, and I advise you to bring double the amount of cash you think you'll need, for tips and souvenir purchases. Shops accept credit cards when they have a WIFI connection, but they charge 15-20 percent extra for credit card purchases, because of the "tax implications of cash vs. credit card purchases" (i.e., the shops have to declare the sales revenue on credit card purchases to the government, and not so much on cash purchases.) There is a $100 national park fee that you have to pay upon arrival in the Galapagos, which seems reasonable enough to me.

(Part 2 of 2)

THOUGHTS ON THE AQUA LIVEABOARD OPERATION:

I booked the Aqua based on price, as it was several thousand dollars cheaper than other Galapagos boats, but was still well reviewed. I paid $4,300 for a top deck cabin (reflecting a 20 percent discount being offered for early June sailings), and the only additional charge was $150 for nitrox. As I said above, the Aqua operation generally delivered on its very nice website and brochure, which you can see here: Route A - Yacht Aqua The only substantive changes was that we only had one day of diving at Darwin (4 dives) and one-and-a-half days at Wolf (7 dives), rather than having a day and a half at both sites. We would have preferred having a couple more dives at Darwin, though ultimately it was a small quibble.

Some reviews of the Aqua have said that it cuts corners because of the lower price, and I didn't find that to be the case at all. Food was top notch, including steaks, thick tuna, roasted pig, large shrimp, and other pricey food entrees on just about every meal. Lots of fresh fruits and vegetables with meals, and large platters of fruit for snacking. Hot chocolate and snacks after every dive. A fresh towel for each person after EVERY dive. Really good housekeeping, and an immaculately clean boat. Very capable divemasters, one of whom (Jesus) works consistently for the Aqua boat. The Aqua tends to operate much more consistently than other boats in the Galapagos, and seems to have less of the churn of freelance divemaster contractors that is typical of other boats. The zodiac tenders were excellent. The boat has a small dive deck but thoughtful touches, like compressed air to rid camera housings of excess water. All in all, it was a very smooth operation. The only real downside to the boat is the tiny cabins, and as I said, I lucked out in getting one for myself. The divers who had to share with a stranger still enjoyed the trip, but the cabins are so small that in effect they are only suitable for sleeping, and will require a careful ballet so as to not be bumping into each other.

The safety precautions on the boat were a mixed bag. The crew seemed to be safety minded, there were fire extinguishers on every deck, and there was a lengthy safety briefing on the first day that actually took time to explain how the safety features on the boat worked. The boat also lent every diver a Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS unit and SMB, if they didn't have one. However, the safety briefing made no mention of charging lithium batteries, and there were no dedicated charging stations. Divers charged their batteries in their rooms, and a couple of times that I left something charging in my room inadvertently, nobody unplugged it. More importantly, on the first day, we were told that there would be an evacuation drill, and that we should expect to hear an alarm. In the afternoon, one of the divers walked around to say that the alarm had sounded, but I couldn't find anyone else who had actually heard the alarm. The lead divemaster said that he would speak to the captain about this, and I asked that the alarm be sounded as soon as it was fixed, so we could hear what it sounded like. The lead divemaster agreed, but this never happened.

One other disconcerting thing about the boat, which might have been a one-time thing, was that a week before departure, I received an email with a "confirmed itinerary" that showed that we wouldn't dive Darwin at all, and that we would get only 13 dives rather than the advertised 19. I called Liveaboard.com and the Aqua home office, both of which assured me that the "confirmed" itinerary must be in error, but they couldn't explain why the error had been made in the first place, which did not inspire confidence. In the end, I was never able to find anyone who could explain the mistake, and the trip ended up going as advertised. I'm very glad I did not let that mistake lead me to stopping payment with my bank on the reservation, which I briefly had considered doing, when I first got the email with the 13-dive itinerary.

The divers on the boat came from France, Germany, Switzerland, the UK, Australia, and Cuba. It was a great mix of cultures, languages, and ages. Perhaps because of its cheap(er) price range, the Aqua seems to attract a lot of younger divers. The experience level of the divers varied significantly, and there were a couple of divers without Nitrox certification, or with only a few dozen dives under their belts. The divers self-divided into two groups for the week, and one of the two groups tended to consistently run out of gas early. (The couple divers without Nitrox certification took the course on the boat, and dived nitrox the whole week -- it would have been unmanageable otherwise to have only two divers on air.) I was surprised that divers would pay upwards of $4,000 for a trip to a destination known to have cold water, currents, low visibility, etc., as a first liveaboard experience. In the end, everyone had a great time and there were no major mishaps, but if conditions had been more challenging, that likely would not have been the case.

I would certainly consider the Aqua again for a return dive trip to the Galapagos. If there was a well-reviewed boat with more spacious cabins within $500 of the Aqua price, I'd probably consider that too, as I could not count on getting a double cabin for myself again.

FINAL THOUGHTS ON DIVING THE GALAPAGOS: I really enjoyed this first trip to the Galapagos (much more than my one trip to Socorro), and on the basis of this admittedly small sample size, I would definitely encourage any experienced diver who has never been to the Galapagos to absolutely go. The highlights of the dives for me were the close approaches to the whale sharks (I'm the guy with the camera in the video clip above), the schooling hammerheads, and the molas, which I had never seen before. Seeing a dozen mola at a time is an otherworldly experience. But I also REALLY enjoyed the hour long dive with marine iguanas, which is something you are only going to get in the Galapagos, and which was unforgettable. The birds that you encounter during the week are insanely cool as well, and I am generally not a bird guy. And a couple of days in Puerto Ayora are definitely well spent, and comparatively cheap. My final words of advice would be, do your research, pick a boat, book your flights, and then don't obsess too much over whether you picked the right month or boat. Odds are, you will have a fabulous time. And if you are a newbie diver, do yourself a favor and get a good number of dives in different conditions before undertaking a Galapagos trip -- you will get a lot more out of it, and be safer doing it.

Couldn't open the video but a great trip report. Thanks. You had an amazing trip. We went in 2022 on the Calypso (one of the better liveaboards we've been on) and it was not quite the same, though quite enjoyable. The schools of hammerheads were in the shadows due to low viz. In fact, the crew had us skip a return to Wolf and just stay at Darwin due to low viz at Wolf. Tried for Mola but only saw one in the shadows. Marine iguanas were great but temp was 61 F and we could only last 35 minutes. Viz was an issue all trip, but, that happens. We talked to all the Galapagos liveaboards that were at DEMA and narrowed our choices to Aqua and Calypso. Cabins were bigger and the eating/ "living room" area was also bigger and brighter on the Calypso so that's what we chose.
Glad you had a great experience and thanks for posting your trip report.

Couldn't open the video but a great trip report. Thanks. You had an amazing trip. We went in 2022 on the Calypso (one of the better liveaboards we've been on) and it was not quite the same, though quite enjoyable. The schools of hammerheads were in the shadows due to low viz. In fact, the crew had us skip a return to Wolf and just stay at Darwin due to low viz at Wolf. Tried for Mola but only saw one in the shadows. Marine iguanas were great but temp was 61 F and we could only last 35 minutes. Viz was an issue all trip, but, that happens. We talked to all the Galapagos liveaboards that were at DEMA and narrowed our choices to Aqua and Calypso. Cabins were bigger and the eating/ "living room" area was also bigger and brighter on the Calypso so that's what we chose.
Glad you had a great experience and thanks for posting your trip report.
Thanks! The Calypso seems like an obvious alternative to the Aqua, and I see that it is running promotions for July that put it at the same price range. And from the website, the Calypso cabins definitely look much roomier.

Just curious, what time of the year was your 2022 trip? I know that I'm going to want to go back to the Galapagos, and despite my own advice, I'm going to obsess over what month to go (as well as the phase of the moon, and random other celestial and terrestrial omens). :)

For the video, try giving it a second or two to load -- Google Photos is a little sluggish, and the video fades in so it just shows a dark screen as it loads. If it still doesn't load please let me know and I'll try to put it on some other platform.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom