Gagging Above Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alv0065

Registered
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Just wondering if this is normal, whenever I put the regulator in above water (like for pre-breathing, entry, on the surface), I gag uncontrollably.

I've always had a hyper active gag reflex, as my dentist can attest to or anytime I put a mouthguard in, but as soon as I go underwater the gagging goes away. I know there are bigger issues when diving, but I wish it didn't make me so anxious or stressed right before I went underwater.

Anyone else experience this or have any ideas

I'm still getting doing my training so I am a little limited to what the shop has, but I can try.

Get a smaller mouth piece.

If it's that bad try asking the store if you can purchase one and use it on their regulator during the course, most likely they wouldn't mind.

Maybe when you're underwater you're concentrating on breathing and not what's in your mouth? -- layman's thought.

Maybe when you're underwater you're concentrating on breathing and not what's in your mouth? -- layman's thought.

True. I’ve also never reaaaaally had a problem snorkeling...a little wave of grossness when I first put it in my mouth but then nothing.

Turns out I think I have been using the comfo-bite mouthpiece, it’s the one that has the little bit on the roof your mouth right? It still really feels like it fills my mouth and tastes rubbery.

Our instructor also insists that we keep the regulator in at all times on the surface which doesn’t help matter. But that seems weird...I thought that was what snorkels were for!

True. I’ve also never reaaaaally had a problem snorkeling...a little wave of grossness when I first put it in my mouth but then nothing.

Turns out I think I have been using the comfo-bite mouthpiece, it’s the one that has the little bit on the roof your mouth right? It still really feels like it fills my mouth and tastes rubbery.

Our instructor also insists that we keep the regulator in at all times on the surface which doesn’t help matter. But that seems weird...I thought that was what snorkels were for!
Don't know if it's relevant, but I really enjoy my form fitting mouthpiece. No gag problems with the standard ones, but I like the fit -- I felt like I was sort of holding the standard one in with my teeth/lips. I switched really because the standard one was almost blown out of my mouth by current.
--The instructor probably doesn't want anyone swallowing water, so there are no panicky problems. Snorkel on surface is fine. If it's calm water, nothing in mouth is fine. Just logical.

I also have this problem.
For me it is the air that the reg is releasing that gags me.
I had the reg tech dial back the flow to the minimum. I then purchased a reg with a flow button that I could adjust on the go, I also put a customizable mouthpiece on it but that was for comfort, the airflow adjustments eased my gagging.

Well, as an update...I got my certification!

we were still required to keep our regulators in while we were in the water but after the discussion above it makes sense.

I used a comfo bite...it was still kinda rubbery and I gagged a bit but I just relaxed, breathed and got it under control. Again once I was underwater I was perfectly fine and it was two great dives!

THe comfo bite mouth piece is the worst for gagging! I used it a few times and hated it! I was on the verge of gagging. After a few more dives, I got used to it and now I can use them, but prefer not to.

If you have a susceptibility to the problem, I bet about any other mouth piece that doesn't place something on the roof of your mouth will be better. I personally like the longer mouth pieces that allow holding with the back teeth more.

I like the shape of these much more.. we are talking about personal preference, so there is NO right answer.

Long-Bite Mouthpiece | Dive Gear Express®

DX-70192.jpg

Back
Top Bottom