G9, G10 or DSLR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cboater

Registered
Reaction score
I am trying to decide whether to purchase a high end P&S system for my step up from a 3 megapixel P&S I used successfully when snorkeling. Or go straight into DSLR.

P&S = Much more economical for a step-up. (New G9 or new G10 with Ikelite housing and external strobe for about $2000.) Easier to get into because I don't have to decide on a lens and purchase a port when I have no idea what lens to buy. May be able to add external lens increase wide angle view, although 28mm may be the max possible (with decent results) from either camera.

DSLR = I have 5 years experience with a Nikon D100 DSLR (6.1 megapixel) (whitewater, nature, family and landscape photography) and know the camera. Can still house it ($1100 new but have found only 1 Ikelite still sold) but what lens, port, lighting? And, I need to buy a back-up body in case the housing floods and the camera has been obsolete for years. If I house the D100, ithe system likely will be difficult to sell when I want to upgrade.

Other Nikon DSLR = D80. D200, D300. THE most expensive alternative. ($4000 new) Knowing nothing about the nuances of moving to DSLR, I have had a daunting experience trying to learn about my options, the costs and the components needed to build a system that I can grow into. Daunting AND expensive and I don't want to make a mistake for something I will use 3 weeks a year. And, something I would likely keep for years.

I really need to stop obsessing about this and JUST DO IT!

Any suggestions/enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Laura

I'm shooting a P & S, and have a D300 that I'm using topside. Wife won't let me spend $5K to house it yet, plus the various UW lenses. I'm happy with the 8mp P&S, but when I see the great WA shots people take with the DSLRs, I get jealous. Some day.

Upside to the P&S-spare cameras are relatively cheap and only a small portion of your overall cost, so if you flood you survive. Also, small size fits in luggage and crevices better. Downside, it's slowwwww. Action shots don't happen. Even with add-on lenses, you're not going to get a 180 degree WA shot with focus at 1' to infinity like you can with a fish-eye on a dslr.

Three weeks a year? You need to dive more! Then you can justify the expense. Don't count out your D100. You can probably E-Bay a second one with housing and maybe even ports for the price of an Ikelite housing. A friend of ours got the camera, several lenses, the housing and strobes for $2500. If you're going to move up to the D300 or newer version of it later, you can start your lens collection and if you stick with the same brand of housing your ports will probably interchange. (Seatool has adaptors for several brands of ports!)

If you're not obsessing, you're not an underwater photographer! Enjoy the obsession.

Close your eyes and JUMP!!!
D300 + Housing + 1WA (10.5, 10-17, 10-20, 12-24...) + 1 60mm + 2 strobes w/arms & cables + one big dome + macro port
And BE HAPPY!!! It is a BIG difference from the D100!!!

If you're not obsessing, you're not an underwater photographer! Enjoy the obsession.

Now there's a good quote :)

Well I own a 5D DSLR and still decided to go with a G9 for underwater use. Even with dual strobes I like the size of it. now when you factor in that I had to buy the camera, housing, 2 strobes, add on lenses and accessories the financial savings were limited. I have not added it all up and I am NOT going to but since I already had a DSLR and a good lens selection I pretty sure I did not save myself much money.

I'm happy with the camera and happy that I can fit EVERYTHING into on large carry on camera bag (including my laptop). That was my goal.

Your goal may be different and if my goal changes (which I doubt) I can reuse a lot of stuff in a SLR rig...

Oh and yeah look on ebay if you want to house your existing Nikon...

Have fun, get a second job..

Kerry

You could start off with the housing, arm, 1 strobe, 60mm lens and a flat port.
The 60mm is a great lens and you'd be very happy with it. Later on go WA by adding another strobe, WA port, and WA lens...

The initial cost will be high, but if you have it insured you can use it for many years even if you flood it or it gets stolen!

Sean

I really like my Canon G9, and I'm waiting to see what happens when the new micro 4/3rds format comes out from Olympus....that'll probably be my next camera if it turns out anything like the prototype they've shown... DSLR at about the same size of my current setup with any luck. They've eliminated the mirror box, and that reduces both the size of the body and the lenses. That said, you'll probably be happy with either of the Canons, but if you're not in a hurry, the DSLRs are coming down in size soon.

Back
Top Bottom