G16 with +10 - Macro setting or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merxlin

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a G16 with a flip down +10 diopter and 2 strobes. Which should give better results- using the normal settings or the macro setting?

Try testing it in a pool.

SeaRat

Yes you want macro focus.

The one spec most camera manufacturer's are silent about is the full zoom minimal focus distance.

I need to mostly fully zoom my G16 in order to eliminate vignettes when using a wet lens. So I generally default to always using it at full zoom.

I do not fully understand what type of magic happens when I flip to macro focus (why can't the Canon programmers figure out what is in focus?)

But I have found that the auto focus at full zoom with close subjects works best in macro focus mode. Adding my wet lens (Subsee +10) simply moves the minimum focus distance much closer to the camera.

Yes you want macro focus.

The one spec most camera manufacturer's are silent about is the full zoom minimal focus distance.

I need to mostly fully zoom my G16 in order to eliminate vignettes when using a wet lens. So I generally default to always using it at full zoom.

I do not fully understand what type of magic happens when I flip to macro focus (why can't the Canon programmers figure out what is in focus?)

But I have found that the auto focus at full zoom with close subjects works best in macro focus mode. Adding my wet lens (Subsee +10) simply moves the minimum focus distance much closer to the camera.
Thank you! I'll be trying it out again this week, then hopefully in the water this weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom