G15 - Over exposure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wantonmien

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have used a G15 for a year or so, but ever since first use I feel many shots are 'over exposed'.

If I take a photo on land, when set in 'Auto' looking at Blue Sky, the Sky will commonly appear "White" - and underwater with flash or strobe, many results are over exposed.

Anyone have same problem, any particular settings to have a look at ? Yes I am aware of the top dials to compensate exposure - but other settings worth looking at, as surely when set in Auto I should not get over exposure ?

Cheers

If shooting macro, try putting your camera into manual mode, ISO around 100 or 200, shutter speed 1/200, aperture around f/5 or f/6. Put your strobes on half power.

Get close to your subject, take a picture, check the exposure. If over-exposed, turn your strobes down a bit, or close your aperture a bit (higher f-number). If under-exposed, either turn up your strobes or get closer to your subject (or open up your aperture, but try the other 2 things first).

You can practise this sitting at your dining room table. You will need slightly more strobe power underwater, but the exposure will be very similar if you are very close to your subject (say within 20 cm).

If shooting wide angle, still try to get as close as you can to your subject, but you may want to bump up the ISO to 400 and slow your shutter to 1/100.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom