G15 or LX7 for a starter camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a DSLR and Fuji X-Pro on land but as a new diver am thinking of going with a point and shoot for underwater photography as it can do wide, tele and macro. My plan was to buy a housing for my sister's Canon S100 but it has some AF problems and my friends also recommended buying something of the Canon G15 standard instead as I may prefer a camera which allows me more control.

I've been looking at both the G15 and the Panasonic LX-7 and housings, but my plan is to stay close to the $1,000 budget. For the G15, I read that the Canon and Ikelite (which costs more) housings don't give full access to the camera controls, so I've been looking at the Fantasea housing (which does not have many reviews or seem as established a brand over here), if not my second choice will be the cheaper Canon housing not to bust the budget. For the LX7, it seems like the only control that is not accessible with the Ikelite housing is the neutral density/manual focus lever - I'm not sure if I will need to access this underwater.

The G15 (more pricey) has a better zoom, but the LX7 (slightly cheaper) has better apertures. I'm not planning to buy a strobe till perhaps early next year when the budget allows, and will likely be taking macros more than other types of photos.

Can anyone recommend something given the choices above and why? I'm planning to get the items by this weekend so I can try them on a dive trip soon, thanks in advance for any replies!

Buy a fix housing for the S100 if you still find it and put the extra money towards a strobe
The G15+fantasea without strobe is not better than the above and the focus speed is similar
The LX7 has better focus and a wider lens, slightly less resolution than the G15 but I would get a different housing outside your budget

Ikelite makes a good housing. I used one with a G11 and it performed well. The controls we're functional and effective.

I have since gone to a Nikon D7000 with a Nauticam housing. The metal housing has much better ergonomics and the precision of control is superb. It comes at a price though. If you can spring for the extra dollars, you might consider a metal housing.

If you can visit a retailer who carries the stock , it is a really good idea. It helps to be able to physically handle the systems you are considering.

Back
Top Bottom