G10/Sea & Sea 110a strobe issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swadiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a new Canon G10 in the Fisheye housing with two Sea & Sea YS 110a strobes. the TTL control of the strobes does not seem to be working right. i am mostly underexposed. i set up the strobes for TTL just as the manual said. both strobes are firing, but things are still too dark. my wife has the same setup except for Inon S2000 strobes. with our cameras set up exactly including f stops, shutter speeds and iso, her results are much better, more exposed.

I tried to test the strobes on the surface by taking a pic of them from the front with G10 flash on. With the 110a's set in TTL mode, they fire but there is no bright flash in the resulting pic. When i put the 110a's into manual mode, they fire and there is a bright flash in the resulting pic.

Am i doing something wrong in the TTL mode? Maybe i will have to use the strobes in manual and adjust them for each condition. i would perfer for now to use TTL mode.

any help appreciated

Are you using Fiber Optic cables to fire the YS-110's?

You said "taking a pic of them from the front with G10 flash on"

M

Yes i am using dual fiber optic connectiions from housing to strobes. The picture taking of the strobe is to check how they are firing relative to the G10 strobe. this was suggested in the Sea & Sea manual as a test of the way the camera fires the slaved ys 110a strobes

Have you got the strobe's EV turned all the way up?

Jack

As far as TTL? Is the old 110 the same as the 110a?

I have one of each and have always shot in manual and just adjusted the strobes to get the lighting I wanted......my method does cause me to miss shots as I don't get enough chances to get the lighting right.......

Any thoughts?

Since now I will be using the S90 and WA lens.......:wink:

M

i am shooting in aperture or shutter priority. By EV's, do you mean the light output control on the strobe themselves, the rotary dial?

Someone has said that the Sea & Sea's are firing on the Canon's preflash, not the main flash. any ideas on how to get around this?

Someone has said that the Sea & Sea's are firing on the Canon's preflash, not the main flash. any ideas on how to get around this?
There is no pre-flash in 'manual' mode, which probably would not help with your TTL though. You should, however, be able to set the strobe to ignore (or mimic) the pre-flash.

I have a YS-27 and it has a mode knob that controls the flash setting. It is the power off switch and then has two modes for controlling the flash. One position is used for a camera that does not have pre-flash and the other is for cameras that do have a pre-flash.

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom