FYI. United scrubbed July flights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texans like Cozumel in winter but are also about the only tourists who can tolerate July-Sept Cozumel heat without complaining relentlessly (we still complain, just not relentlessly since it is probably hotter back in Texas )

Not quite. I live in southern California, about an hour east of LA. We went to Coz last August... to cool down. It was in the 90's in Coz, it was around 105 at home.

Hopefully going back first week of August this year. I expect Coz to be 10 degrees cooler than home again. I do not recall ever complaining about a thing while in Coz...

It's not so much the heat but the humidity 95F/95% can be a little oppressive. Then again there is a lot to be said for 84F and 100% humidity at 100' along the wall.

Agreed about humidity. I was generally referring to heat, but really meant heat index. I would take 100 degrees in the desert over 90 degrees in Cozumel any day.

Summer Houston humidity is usually only a little less than Coz humidity unfortunately

Agreed about humidity. I was generally referring to heat, but really meant heat index. I would take 100 degrees in the desert over 90 degrees in Cozumel any day.

Summer Houston humidity is usually only a little less than Coz humidity unfortunately
How can 100% humidity be less? :D

THE FORGOTTEN TEXAS NAVY:
"In the middle President Houston’s first term in July 1837, the Texas Navy under the command of Captain Thompson claimed the island of Cozumel, in the words of Captain Thompson, the “star spangled banner [referring to the Texas flag] was raised to a height of forty-five feet with acclamations both from inhabitants and our little patriotic band.”3 In addition to the island of Cozumel, the navy took possession of the Arcas Islands, a small island chain in the Gulf of Mexico."
The Forgotten Texas Navy: Heroes from the Gulf of Mexico

BoundForElsewhere,

To answer your question (not sure if it was rhetorical ): I was speaking about Houston serving as hub for flights serving Latin America in general and Mexico specifically (but not Cozumel specifically ). Obviously a bunch of people in Texas with family and/or business ties to Mexico and vice versa

With regards to why do Texans go to Cozumel—-Texas obviously has a lot of coastline, but Cancun/Cozumel is probably our closest major blue water beach and diving destination. Flight from Houston usually runs right around 2 hours. Yes Texas has rig diving and a non-luxury weekend liveaboard to the Flower Gardens but not much that resembles a postcard-worthy tropical beach/diving destination.

I also suspect the Texas Cozumel tourist traffic has less seasonality than northerners who flee the Northern cold in winter but have less interest in the Cozumel summer heat (who can blame you guys ). Texans like Cozumel in winter but are also about the only tourists who can tolerate July-Sept Cozumel heat without complaining relentlessly (we still complain, just not relentlessly since it is probably hotter back in Texas )

There’s some weeks here that there is enough Texas folks, you could call this an extended county

Cozumel's history and that of the entire Yucatan peninsula includes many challenges and failures of foreign powers trying to overtake and govern. The peninsula was so isolated and the island even more so that constant supply and control was too much. Lincoln wanted to resettle freed slaves there at one time, and the Caste War kept things unsettled for over 50 years.

How can 100% humidity be less? :D
I can live with extreme heat much easier than cold, camping at Big Bend in the summer is only inconvenient, but Houston is the summer can be disabling with its lack of wind. At least Cozumel gets cooling breezes. Riding a bike around Coba in August was tough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom