FYI. United scrubbed July flights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cozcharlie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Not a surprise , but today I noticed my July United flights were scrubbed. They had been scheduled to pick up July 8th again

They still have flights resuming in early August but I imagine most or all of them will be cancelled. They had always planned to back down the number of weekly flights in the second half of August for low season like they have done past few years

Even if they resume service I doubt they will go from zero flights a week in July to 8 flights a week in the first half of August to one flight a week in the second half of August. Will be thankful if they keep Saturday only flights or Saturday and Wednesday flights in first half of August

BTW, United never notifies me by email when a flight is cancelled for some reason —I have to look. Kind of ridiculous given the amount I fly and the number of emails they send me during a year

I found nyc to cun return tix for as low as 164 nonstop. It is strange but we don't get direct flights to Coz from here. For that kind of price I think I'd still fly into cun and take the bus and ferry.

I found nyc to cun return tix for as low as 164 nonstop. It is strange but we don't get direct flights to Coz from here. For that kind of price I think I'd still fly into cun and take the bus and ferry.

Going back to the Continental days, lot of Latin American flights ran through Houston. Not enough demand to run direct from both IAH and EWR outside of high season. Obviously big ties between Texas and Mexico. Made more sense to consolidate traffic on its way south at Houston (people from TX we’re not going to fly 4 hours Norrh to EWR to turn around and fly 5 hours south to CZM).

That makes sense. But why are Texicans flying to Coz?

NYC CZM Dec 12-20 $300 RT....:) through CLT

That makes sense. But why are Texicans flying to Coz?
BoundForElsewhere,

To answer your question (not sure if it was rhetorical ): I was speaking about Houston serving as hub for flights serving Latin America in general and Mexico specifically (but not Cozumel specifically ). Obviously a bunch of people in Texas with family and/or business ties to Mexico and vice versa

With regards to why do Texans go to Cozumel—-Texas obviously has a lot of coastline, but Cancun/Cozumel is probably our closest major blue water beach and diving destination. Flight from Houston usually runs right around 2 hours. Yes Texas has rig diving and a non-luxury weekend liveaboard to the Flower Gardens but not much that resembles a postcard-worthy tropical beach/diving destination.

I also suspect the Texas Cozumel tourist traffic has less seasonality than northerners who flee the Northern cold in winter but have less interest in the Cozumel summer heat (who can blame you guys ). Texans like Cozumel in winter but are also about the only tourists who can tolerate July-Sept Cozumel heat without complaining relentlessly (we still complain, just not relentlessly since it is probably hotter back in Texas )

BoundForElsewhere,

To answer your question (not sure if it was rhetorical ): I was speaking about Houston serving as hub for flights serving Latin America in general and Mexico specifically (but not Cozumel specifically ). Obviously a bunch of people in Texas with family and/or business ties to Mexico and vice versa

With regards to why do Texans go to Cozumel—-Texas obviously has a lot of coastline, but Cancun/Cozumel is probably our closest major blue water beach and diving destination. Flight from Houston usually runs right around 2 hours. Yes Texas has rig diving and a non-luxury weekend liveaboard to the Flower Gardens but not much that resembles a postcard-worthy tropical beach/diving destination.

I also suspect the Texas Cozumel tourist traffic has less seasonality than northerners who flee the Northern cold in winter but have less interest in the Cozumel summer heat (who can blame you guys ). Texans like Cozumel in winter but are also about the only tourists who can tolerate July-Sept Cozumel heat without complaining relentlessly (we still complain, just not relentlessly since it is probably hotter back in Texas )

Thank you. That makes perfect sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom