FYI, state of emergency declared in Bangkok

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

I am getting concerned about the state of emergency in Bangkok. I am scheduled to fly in on April 20th then head south for a dive trip. How serious is this situation and is there any legitimate safety concerns for tourists? I don't want to cancel my trip and I would appreciate any info and suggestions from those who are currently in Thailand.

Cheers,

I've been living in BKK for the last 3 years. Any violence has centered between Thais and generally restricted to areas where protest are present. The airport will have heightened security to prevent any repeat of the last big round of protests. The Asean Summit was a trigger as most of the electorate feels the current government was put in illegitimately without elections and replaced an elected one and therefore has no right to negotiate on behalf of the nation. Others will argue the elections were not fair and votes were bought and change from above was needed to restore "honest" government. Where in the South are you going?

I've been living in BKK for the last 3 years. Any violence has centered between Thais and generally restricted to areas where protest are present. The airport will have heightened security to prevent any repeat of the last big round of protests. The Asean Summit was a trigger as most of the electorate feels the current government was put in illegitimately without elections and replaced an elected one and therefore has no right to negotiate on behalf of the nation. Others will argue the elections were not fair and votes were bought and change from above was needed to restore "honest" government. Where in the South are you going?

Hi,

We are planing on heading straight down to Phuket and then on to the islands from there. We do have a live a board to the Similians on the 29th.

The troubles in November last year (with the airport blockades etc) caused some grief for travellers. For those who have to stick by strict schedules and don't like to risk trip disturbances (delays, diversions and so fourth), the latest round of political strife may present problems.

But for those who have some time and want to go to Thailand and the surrounding regions anyways, there may be bargains and nice quiet getaways. During times when tourists are hard to come by (whether it's bad weather, monsoon or political disturbance), many touristy locations become desperate for business. Basically it's a case of too many sharks and not enough fish.

I lived in the Gulf of Thailand during the Coup and subsequent martial law of 2006/2007 and from where I was, we were almost oblivious of the political goings-on. The only noticeable military presence on the island was a lone uniformed old man directing traffic on a street intersection. As I write, my friends and former colleagues are probably more concerned with the New Year celebrations than with any political crisis.

So if you go, just take precaution, avoid Bangkok and other potential flashpoints and look out for those bargains.

Its a great shame but I think that the Thais are shooting themselves in the foot because of all this political stuff!
I know that many countries have one form of democrasy or another but it seems to me that they get rid of one government then the opposition kicks out the other! if they get rid of this prime minister then others might want the new guy out!
This is very similar as to what is happenng here in the Philippines, the government is so defending itself that here is no time to govern!
Thats a problem with people, many times they are just not happy with what they have got!

Our Government is now warning people not to go at all except if you have to.
The outsted PM has suggested he would return again.....The King has not been seen for a week, the last time he was attending a hospital.

I was in Bangkok when bombs were going off just down the road in 2007. If you can change your ticket to fly into Phuket instead of Bangkok might be worth the effort. I do not believe things are going to get better until elections are held.

Are you insured?.......Also recommend to anyone not to go to Fiji.
The situation there has a long way to play out before it gets better.

Smartraveller: The Australian Government's travel advisory and consular assistance service - Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Here is a link to our Government's web site for info.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom