FYI Cozumel flight cancellations continue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cozcharlie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Shouldn’t be a surprise given that flight cancellations have been in the news for weeks, but my United flight to Cozumel today was cancelled due to COVID. They gave me about 24 hours notice give or take (which is way better than getting cancelled at the airport ). Can’t remember if it was this board or another one where I saw United routed someone through Cancun instead of Cozumel last week so that is at least two times in a week this has happened.

I rebooked for early next week. Will try to remember to post if I actually make it to Cozumel or get cancelled again. Note this isn’t a complaint , just kind of is what it is. A lot of people are out with Covid, so airline is short-staffed . My guess is that Cozumel isn’t a particularly profitable route given the cheap fares right now so if may be more likely to be cancelled than some other routes.

Shouldn’t be a surprise given that flight cancellations have been in the news for weeks, but my United flight to Cozumel today was cancelled due to COVID. They gave me about 24 hours notice give or take (which is way better than getting cancelled at the airport ). Can’t remember if it was this board or another one where I saw United routed someone through Cancun instead of Cozumel last week so that is at least two times in a week this has happened.

I rebooked for early next week. Will try to remember to post if I actually make it to Cozumel or get cancelled again. Note this isn’t a complaint , just kind of is what it is. A lot of people are out with Covid, so airline is short-staffed . My guess is that Cozumel isn’t a particularly profitable route given the cheap fares right now so if may be more likely to be cancelled than some other routes.
Departing from IAH?

Departing from IAH?
Yes. IAH—>CZM flight for today was cancelled yesterday morning (24 hours out as I mentioned )

6409A045-3195-430D-949F-6651BE940D74.png

I'm heading down from PDX to IAH on Jan 27th and I just looked at the available seats. There are 103 available. I'm planning on spending the night and continuing to CZM on the 28th and there are 115 available seats.

Just bought a 250 count bottle of Ibuprofen. Something tells me that I'm going to need a few.

American Airlines for tomorrow straight shot Chicago to Cozumel. No reason given, but they did offer to send me to Cancun with a LATE arrival and a layover at no extra charge. Thanks AA for really going the extra mile for me!

In a related matter , I had booked a FF miles round trip ticket for a friend to go back to the states for a couple of weeks in January. United blew up the return about 3 weeks out and didn’t even send an email as far as I can tell. Looks like the actual flight to Cozumel wasn’t cancelled , but my friends flight to Denver to catch the return flight to Cozumel (computer erased both from the itinerary ).

Just a reminder to everyone to login and check your future flights every now and then. Don’t assume they will notify you if something gets cancelled a few weeks ahead of your travel date.

I had said I would follow up on my rescheduled flight (Friday was cancelled ). I made it down without any problems other than looking out window and seeing six cruise ships docked today . I didn’t actually look at the back of the plane , my guess is it was 50-60 percent full ballpark.

View attachment 698941
So there was a north-ish wind blowing? When we go in the Spring the wind is usually from the southeast, so we don't get a flyover of the island on the way in.

Glad you made it!

So there was a north-ish wind blowing? When we go in the Spring the wind is usually from the southeast, so we don't get a flyover of the island on the way in.

Glad you made it!
You are correct about the North (ish) wind. We landed coming in from the east yesterday , which probably only happens one out of every 15 times I come into CZM. As you indicated most of the time planes come from the west into the prevailing east wind.

Looks like the winds have already shifted back to a more easterly direction today. I can see what looks like a dive boat on the water from my window so I am assuming port is open (that may have already been posted )

Great picture by the way! What is the large pier between the two cruise ship piers?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom