Fuvahmulah (Video & Review)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

m_BK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After getting the tip for the island of Fuvahmulah for the first time 2 years ago, I was finally able to implement the plan. After a week of diving in the Addu Atoll, it went in a rough speed boat hour across the open sea to the island.

Diving Fuvamullah / Fuvahmulah Dive School

The real reason of the trip was the diving, the exposed location of the island (alone in the open sea) is the hotspot for large animals in the Maldives. I could see everything that was advertised on the homepage (except for the whale shark - of course ... as always ...). Highlight was the Hammerheadschool which was present at my travel time which we could see every day. There are also surprisingly well-preserved coral on the reef running around the island. In principle, there are 3 types of dives: 1. Off to the (deep) blue water and see what is currently in season (deep and short / hammerhead shark, foxtail shark, gray reef sharks, tiger sharks, barracuda`s), 2. The spectacle of the tiger sharks right on Port entrance (low), 3. With the current along the reef walk (chillig / Whitetips, Oceanic Manta`s).
Some say that you have seen everything after 3 days - that's true and still every day is different so I did not get bored in a week.
The hype is in progress, the base has now already acquired a second boat, besides there is still a frequent Asian base and on the web findable competitor (of the alleged 3 other bases, I did not notice). It is to be hoped that the run takes place slowly and consciously before everything will be hopelessly overrun - would be a shame about this great place.
The base is very professionally structured, everything that happens on the boat happens quickly and routinely - equipment is pre-assembled - you do not have to worry about anything. The exits by boat are max 15 min, so that one is fast back and between the dives (if one wishes) with the scooter fast can continue. The dives are (beyond the Tigerzoos) relatively demanding.

Fuvahmulah Island

It is a very great native island with a lot of potential. Compared to Addu Atoll many large beaches - depending on the side of the island sometimes with fine Maldivian sand to pebbles. In general, there are on the beaches various surprises such as hammocks or the beach bar at the northern end. The tip is to rent a scooter and just let it drift. There is (currently) a 2 km long "road" everything else is then comfortable chug on paved sandy paths. It is easy to get in contact with the locals - there is a chill-out atmosphere all over the island - the island offers non-diving opportunities so even non-divers can get their money's worth. A great place to spend the day at the water is the beach bar at the northern end - here there is the largest sandy beach but also shady corners under palm trees plus infrastructure by the beach bar.
Otherwise, let drift and enjoy nature and culture. The Natural Park with its entrance fee you can save the way - a trip to the boardwalk I recommend it. Also worthwhile - stop by the harbor when the fishermen arrive (around 10am) and sell their tuna directly from the boat to the locals.

Accommodation / Veyli Residence

A beautiful villa with inviting large public balcony including sun loungers and garden with seating as well as open air restaurant. Furnishings and food are good - everything fits in principle. Sometimes it takes a little bit longer ... The very young team is definitely very committed. On foot about 5 minutes to the east side of the island, to the west side is 10 minutes, supermarket in 4 minutes.
Nevertheless, one thing did not fit me in the end - the balcony / terrace is really great and big - right in front of a large mango tree. But why do you tolerate that this completely from the wet clothes (as a highlight and their underwear) of the Asian tour group is attached, you may quietly set its own rules.

Thank you so much for sharing!
Was looking at a Fuvahmulah for our December trip, but found it very, very expensive. Looks like I’ll have to reconsider:) Who did you dive/stay with? Did you buy a package- or did your own thing?

Was also looking at combining it with Gan - how would you compare? Is it worth it doing both in a 7-10 day trip? (Bearing in mind we have only 3-4 hour flight to Male - or a bit more to gan via Colombo)

Thanks for the great report!

First, did you dive with Panda?

Second, did the beach bar serve alcohol drinks? Panda had told me some time ago that the island was dry (no alcohol).

Thanks for the great report!

First, did you dive with Panda?

Second, did the beach bar serve alcohol drinks? Panda had told me some time ago that the island was dry (no alcohol).

Yes, also with Panda :) The island is 100% free of alcohol like all other local islands.

Thank you so much for sharing!
Was looking at a Fuvahmulah for our December trip, but found it very, very expensive. Looks like I’ll have to reconsider:) Who did you dive/stay with? Did you buy a package- or did your own thing?

Was also looking at combining it with Gan - how would you compare? Is it worth it doing both in a 7-10 day trip? (Bearing in mind we have only 3-4 hour flight to Male - or a bit more to gan via Colombo)

First I stayed 5 days (15 dives) at addu atoll (aquaventures, maradhoo) then i took the speed boat (1h) to fuvahmulah for 5 more days (15 dives). i would recommend this combination in the same order, diving in addu is rough and different - fuvamullah is shark spectacle. i stayed at veyli, you can have it cheaper or more expensive, if its cheaper without the package you can make it individual its not that complicated but i would recommend to save your dives in advance as they are getting more and more busy.

Very nice video, full of sharks. Impressive!

In term of budget, how much did you pay for diving and accommodation?

Very nice video, full of sharks. Impressive!

In term of budget, how much did you pay for diving and accommodation?

I think it was around 800 € Accommodation (7 nights) and 800 € diving (15 dives).
The Fuvahmulah Dive School is offering packages on they're website.

Very cool videos!

We are doing the exact itinerary next Feb. We got 10 days between Addu and Fuvahmulah and I'll follow your advice and split it 5 to 5.

What are the highlights in Addu apart from Manta point and the British Royalty wreck?

Thanks

Very cool videos!

We are doing the exact itinerary next Feb. We got 10 days between Addu and Fuvahmulah and I'll follow your advice and split it 5 to 5.

What are the highlights in Addu apart from Manta point and the British Royalty wreck?

Thanks

I think its depending which operator you choose and where they go.
the 3th highlight is a channel dive in the north region of the atoll - one dive was full of sharks, the next day there were none (depending on how the dive was lead you push the sharks away or keep them staying...).
on the other hand addu atoll is small atoll which can be affected strongly by the current situations so for me the highlight was the all-time changing conditions.

Hi, Is fuvahmulah diving a shark-fed diving?
I have read an review about it.
Maybe not direct-feeding-on-site during diving,
but is the site(port) periodically fed with tunas?

I'm thinking about diving in Male, and this information would be very helpful for me to choose dive site.

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom