Fusion Sizing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickHeil

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am also thinking about getting a fusion. I've dove one twice now (really liking the suit) and am wondering which size is most appropriate. I'm fortunate (I guess) to fit right between the XL and XXL sizes - according to Whites sizing chart. I'm either at the middle/higher end of the XL table or the lower end of the XXL table.

The extra larger XXL size of course is a little easier to get on, and can handle more undergarments for colder dives.

The large size fits well, though it a tighter fit - though not snug anywhere.

Part of the reason I ask is I got opposite suggestions form my local LDS... the manager thinks the XL is the way to go, while my tech dive instructor thinks the extra available volume in the XXL is the way to go (though he prefers DUI actually).

My basics sizing info is 6', 200 lbs, 44" chest 42" waist 42" bottom 45" inseam 33".

Ideally I want the most streamline fit, but also want to not ever be tight.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

I use a L/XL and it fits me like a dream even with thick undergarments on and here are my measurements.

Height - 5'11"
Weight - 205
Chest - 43"
Waist - 39
Belly - 40.5" measured around biggest part of the belly :D
Hips - 46"
Arm Length - 21"
Neck - 16.25"
Inside Leg to ankle bone - 30.5"
Inside Leg to Floor - 34

Measurements with Whites MK2 Undergarment...

I have never tried on the next size up so I do not know what that would feel like, I am happy with mine the way that it is.. The only problem that I ever have is if some of the material in the leg gets a little twisted or bunched up the crotch of the suit will be low. It can take some rearranging to get it straightned out, but when it is straight it is good...

Phil

Any chance you can try on the L/XL with thick undies, like the Mk3's? Just for some comparison, I am bigger than you, about 6 foot 3, currently about 240, and the L/XL was too tight for me. The 2XL/3XL was perfect. It fits with heavy undies, and the skin shrinks it in enough when I am using thin undies, that it is still streamlined.

I am
6'0
215 lb.
36-38 waist
my Fusion is a 2 xl
great
get the undergarments and booty undrgarment
no boots
I wear a 11 shoe and bought 13 booties and put them over my suit works perfect.
I can wear my normal fins.
any questions email me.

Buy the one that's easy to get into and comfortable to wear. I dive very happily in my husband's Fusion (a size bigger than mine) when mine is unavailable. One of the nice things about the design is that if the suit is a little too big, it really isn't a problem.

Great advise!

I am diving this weekend (hot spring in Utah - more luke warm spring in winter :D )and will try both sizes to see... but I think the XXL sounds like it will be the easiest to fit/get on and not get bunchie. I noticed the XL did bunch a bit more.. but that was only a tryon in the shop, no dive.

Then next week for 3 days on alive aboard diving the North Channel Islands - can't wait!

Thanks all!

Part of the reason I ask is I got opposite suggestions form my local LDS... the manager thinks the XL is the way to go, while my tech dive instructor thinks the extra available volume in the XXL is the way to go (though he prefers DUI actually).
It will depend on what type of diving you have planned. I would go with the suit that would allow the appropriate undergarment for the conditions and still fit comfortably . I'm close to the same size as you and with DUI's new undergarment my XL is a bit to snug. (For sale Whites trilam XL) I would opt for the XXL.

Who's doing your course?

I'm with Lynne. Too small sucks.

I am 6', 185#'s and I wear the Fusion L/XL with an MK3 and the suit fits great.

Help me demystify the Fusion sizing. I was able to pull back my order for a L/XL Fusion as it was totally based on the Fusion sizing chart on the web. My LDS is a White's dealer but does not stock Fusions. I was able to get a 2XL/3XL to try on from another customer. The crotch leg length was snug, I wouldn't have wanted to get the L/XL. The fit of the Fusion was strange. It felt like it was a wetsuit fit. I was only wearing street clothes and couldn't imagine what it would be like with undergarments for 34 deg F diving here. When I put the legs on, there was room in the inner bag, but it didn't seem like a lot. The thought of going to a 4XL seems ridiculous and makes me feel that I need to go to Weight watchers.

I'm 6' and 195lbs. With street clothes on, my chest is 42", waist is 36", hips are 39" and inseam is 34" I have decent size quads which might be working against me. I'm not huge, but the Fusion size charts makes me feel that I am. I normally take a rack Large from Pinnacle or a rack XL from Bare with plenty of room to spare when renting drysuits.

There's a Demo day about 3 hours away in a few weeks, but I won't be around to make it. The next Demo day around here is in Aug, but I was hoping to get a suit before that and stop renting.

So questions:
1. Is a Fusion supposed to feel like a wetsuit? Am I supposed to forget everything that I've come to expect from traditional drysuit fit?
2. How do undergarments work if they are so compressed? I know the suit will have some air in it at depth, but I try to put as little as possible. Only enough to prevent squeeze.
3. I'm thinking of paying the extra shipping and having a 4XL shipped with a new order for a 2XL/3XL. And not going with any options like pockets of p-valves so that it can be sent back. I think its worth the peace of mind. Comments?

Based on OPs, everyone seems to be around my size and has no problems with a 2XL/3XL. I'd like to get some feedback to their sizing escapades. Maybe I was just feeling a little fat that day...:sigh:

If I can't make myself feel comforable with the purchase, I'll go back to the traditional style of drysuit and forget my days of dressing like a Power Ranger.

So questions:
1. Is a Fusion supposed to feel like a wetsuit? Am I supposed to forget everything that I've come to expect from traditional drysuit fit?
2. How do undergarments work if they are so compressed? I know the suit will have some air in it at depth, but I try to put as little as possible. Only enough to prevent squeeze.
3. I'm thinking of paying the extra shipping and having a 4XL shipped with a new order for a 2XL/3XL. And not going with any options like pockets of p-valves so that it can be sent back. I think its worth the peace of mind. Comments?

1.The fusion is a different feel. The skin makes it feel more like a wetsuit as opposed to a traditional laminate suit where all the excess just flaps in the current, creates drag and collects air.

2. Undergarments don't work when compressed. The outer skin will expand with the drycore when you add air, allowing the undergarment to loft and keep you warm. With a fusion, bubble management is a breeze since the skin tends to even the bubble out as opposed to the huge traveling bubble in a regular trilam.

3. I'm 6'3" 210 lbs with a 33in inseam. The 2x/3x fusion is a perfect fit for me and I could gain some weight and it would still be perfect.

Back
Top Bottom