Fusion Bullet skin - review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jridg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Back in September 2008 I began my fusion life with a tech skin fusion. I dove that skin until Summer 2009 when DRIS sent me my Tech LE skin - you can see my review on that skin - I liked it better than the regular tech skin - I added pockets and was happy.

I recently upgraded once again to the Bullet skin with the new pockets. Once again, Whites has improved on an already superior product by listening to their customers and making improvements that simply make sense!

Skin installation is typical - nothing abnormal here - WATCH THE INSTALLATION VIDEO on the Whites website and you will get it - it's not hard to do - even alone (but is easier with help).

So, how does this compare to the LE skin?

Gator tech neoprene:
- Neat stuff - seems more permeable and tougher than the typical 1mm neoprene of the LE skin. The elbow and knee pads are certainly superior to any other skin that Whites has produced. There are even pockets on the interior for padding inserts should you require such.

New zip pockets:
- Far and away superior to previous pockets. The zip sides make them less 'saggy' and they are simply put together better. No grommets on these - just interior plastic D-ring to attach lanyards, etc to. Same drain design which worked well on the old pockets - overall a great improvement. Adding to that improvement is the 'tacky' interior of the pocket area of the skin. This section clings to the dry core and prevents much, if not all of the sag experienced in the previous pockets. There is also a velcro area inside that you can attach to the dry core if you so desire to further eliminate sag. (I have not done this - doesn't seem necessary).

Overall feel and 'diveability':
- A very similar experience to the LE skin while diving. I really like the color options on this skin - I have the blue and it's darned nice :wink:
- No loss of flexibility, I do feel like this skin will hold up even better in all conditions - durability has not been an issue with the fusion, but this one is certainly the best of the best.

Overall I like the upgrade - If I had it all to do over again, and was buying a fusion for the first time - I would be getting the bullet skin version right off the bat!

Thank you to Whites for listening and continuing to make improvements.

How much???

the issue i have (because it's the issue my bf has) is that they aren't taking care of early adapters. how hard would it be for them to not only listen to constructive criticism and improve their product (which they are excellent at), but give a price break to folks who have another skin & want to upgrade? right now he'd have to pay the whole price, which amounts to a penalty for being among the first to give it a try & create the excellent reviews in the first place.

the issue i have (because it's the issue my bf has) is that they aren't taking care of early adapters. how hard would it be for them to not only listen to constructive criticism and improve their product (which they are excellent at), but give a price break to folks who have another skin & want to upgrade? right now he'd have to pay the whole price, which amounts to a penalty for being among the first to give it a try & create the excellent reviews in the first place.

Yeah, I kinda agree.

Kinda.

I got the early model, and I've had to Velcro my pockets, add my pee valve, paid $180.00!!! to have the ankles sized up to a real foot size with socks... and now they have improved again.

However, how long should a design wait before becoming available? Should they stop improving the design? At least Whites has listened to the feedback of their customers and done their best to implement the suggestions. And it is us who decided to grab a new idea right out of the shoot.

So, all things being equal, I vote +1 for Whites. Although I WOULD appreciate a discount! :eyebrow:

Hey gang, thanks for the feedback, and thanks for the great review jidg. The tricky part is finding that happy medium between coming out with new products and not leaving out the already existing supporters, I completely understand. We are listening and trying to improve our suits to give you the best diving experience possible. By doing this we are trying to keep our skins as reasonable as possible, hopefully allowing you to upgrade without having to break the bank and buy a whole new suit like the other guys. The possibility may come about in the future regarding a type of program to help out our already loyal customers, but it's still in the infancy stage.....sorry guys.
Doug,

I really don't feel like I am being put out by my decisions to upgrade. I have not upgraded to the fusion boots. I did my own pee-valve install. Each skin upgrade was my own choice and, to be perfectly honest, I was happy to do each one. The tech skin is still sold, that's where I began this journey. As Doug pointed out, there is the option to upgrade the suit without going all-new - I really enjoy that option!

Back
Top Bottom