Funniest Moments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Let's put our serious side aside and have some fun reading accounts of funny episodes occurring underwater.

I was diving with a buddy of mine recently and we had decided to practice some skill, namely DSMB release at dive's end. Dive went uneventfully then we signaled practice time. My buddy, religiously and methodically took the DSMB out of his pocket, then inflated it and let go, Well the DSMB went straight up dictated by the laws of physics. That's when I started to laugh uncontrollably for the next 2 minutes since "my buddy" forgot to attach the reel to the DSMB. Allegedly he looked at me ( I did not see him as my eyes were tearing from laughing so hard) and then went for the surface. On the surface I stayed calm and collected but he told me that it was the reason we should practice skills more often. I agreed, turned my back to him and tried to contain myself and not burst into the funnies.

Both of mine include a snorkel.

1. Dive buddy signalling OOG at 20 ft... snorkel firmly between his lips.

2. My course director's buddy (mid 70s) who logged a two minute 18 second training dive on a snorkel as he waited for me to figure out what went wrong with the 5 point descent as a 'student'... I eventually noticed the lack of bubbles after I noted his mask flooding from laugh lines... not sure I got 5 points on that one.

Good thread idea!
Cameron

Background. My wife is incredibly mild mannered. And she absolutely hates the F word.

This past weekend we were relaxing for a moment at a submerged cooling tower structure. On a previous dive I had shown her a plaster skull with a dew rag on it. On this dive I gave her the “wait one” signal. Went and fetched said skull and dew rag and set it next to her. She jolted noticeably when she looked over and saw it. Then she gave me the semi universal sign indicating that I was number one. I was shocked I tell ya. Shocked.

I had a buddy who was a tad on the impatient side. One day he was rushing me to get in the water. I was calmly getting my gear on when tired of waiting, he jumped in the water and said he would wait for me at the anchor line. I hurried to catch up and made a backroll...without my mask. I told him I had to get back on the boat and he was fuming. I climbed back aboard, put on my mask and backrolled into the water...without my fins.

I had a buddy who was a tad on the impatient side. One day he was rushing me to get in the water. I was calmly getting my gear on when tired of waiting, he jumped in the water and said he would wait for me at the anchor line. I hurried to catch up and made a backroll...without my mask. I told him I had to get back on the boat and he was fuming. I climbed back aboard, put on my mask and backrolled into the water...without my fins.
Was this on purpose? If so then that is funny

We were doing a course with another couple. The shop’s rental gear included long hose regulator setups. The other couple had never used a long hose before and wrapped the hose several times around their necks. They then complained that it was a stupid setup because they couldn’t breathe. It was rude of me to laugh but I couldn’t help myself.

I have two dive buddies who are constantly trying to out-do each other with their air consumption.

After every dive they compare how much PSI is still in their tanks, and then heatedly discuss the results.
It’s an obsession with them.
It went on for years.
To them it was both a competition, and a point of pride to come up with the most PSI after a dive.

We were doing a night shore dive at a popular So Cal beach.
The conditions that night we’re marginal at best, but we all made it past the surf and descended.
It was a typical dive for that location, although the surge made the viz even worse than usual.

At some point late in the dive one of the buddies became separated.
As is our protocol with a lost diver, the other buddy and I searched around for a couple minutes unsuccessfully, and then safely ascended to the surface.

Well, during our dive the surface conditions had deteriorated significantly.
The wind had increased, and that generated some rather large white-capped waves. The wind in our ears made it hard to hear, and there was sea spray coming from all directions.
And of course, it was a night dive so it was dark too.

We started to get really worried about our lost buddy, and began shining our dive lights all around.
In this dark foreboding place our fear that something was wrong increased.
For several long minutes he was no where to be seen.

Finally, a head popped up a few dozen yards away. We started shouting “ARE YOU ALL RIGHT?”, and waving our lights to get his attention.
All the time hoping he was ok, and not in distress or drowning.

Finally he spotted us. We shouted again “ARE YOU ALL RIGHT?”
“ARE YOU ALL RIGHT?”
“ARE... YOU... ALL... RIGHT?”

Then over the roar of the surf, and through the spray, and chaos we heard him reply…

“I HAVE FIFTEEN HUNDRED POUNDS!”

1. Dive buddy signalling OOG at 20 ft... snorkel firmly between his lips.

Similar giggles story. During OW training we were required to wear a snorkel (as I believe most are). I had issues in the beginning with equalizing, so without fail I would be the last one down. On a few occasions I would get down a few feet after exhaling and go to breath in only to realize I'm on not on the regulator. I'm not sure why it made me laugh (I think because I did it to myself?). It would have me giggling so bad I'd have to go back up to compose myself and try again.

Funny as it would of been accidental suicide by snorkel?

On the snorkel side, I've heard a good bunch of (not so fun) incidents, especially during drift dives and deflated entries. I'm not sure if there ever been a fatal one.... but it's all fun, until it's fun (the stupidest thing, for an inexperienced diver, could lead to real panic). Sorry for the topic deviation!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom