Funding for 4th Cruise Ship Dock OK'd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ccannon707

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The SHCP reported that in December of this year, foundation work for a fourth cruise ship pier in Cozumel will start, even though environmental groups and Cozumel city council members expressed their discontent over the imminent construction of the fourth dock.

This info was included in the economic reactivation announcement by the Secretaría de Hacienda y Crédito Público (SHCP) = Ministry of Finance and Public Credit.

The work for the fourth dock will begin December 20, a project under concession by Muelles del Caribe SA de CV. Investment for the work will come in at around 511 million peso.

:(:(:(

Can't they just fix the Secrets pier and leave it at that?

Where will the location be?

I believe it will be just north of the cargo ferry pier - that’s where they were doing dire hole samples

There's a new post tonight, seems they've changed their mind at where this new dock is going and what it'll be. More like a dock in downtown with a bridge crossing the road to a two story plaza area but get this - it'll be right next to Palmar Condos, the dock area will be just south of Sunset Beach Club/Sand Dollar which puts the dock on top of the northern part of the coral reef restoration area..................... @Christi would know more how this kinda stuff goes, I'm just posting what I see and what I see is well ****...

NotImporta Cozumel

NotImporta Cozumel

Are divers really that unimportant to the Coz economy? I get that cruisers drop a lot of cash, but it looks to mostly go to a few types of businesses (mainly bars and souvenirs). Divers support everybody.

Or is it that the cruise ships pay fees which go directly to the people that make the rules?

Are divers really that unimportant to the Coz economy? I get that cruisers drop a lot of cash, but it looks to mostly go to a few types of businesses (mainly bars and souvenirs). Divers support everybody.

Or is it that the cruise ships pay fees which go directly to the people that make the rules?
Yes and yes, IMO. How many divers visit Cozumel every day in "normal" times? Hundreds. How many cruseros? Thousands. Do the math. It's not just where the visitors spend their money; it's also the tax revenues those expenditures generate. And yes, there are the fees that the cruise ship industry pays. Divers are small potatoes.

Yes and yes, IMO. How many divers visit Cozumel every day in "normal" times? Hundreds. How many cruseros? Thousands. Do the math. It's not just where the visitors spend their money; it's also the tax revenues those expenditures generate. And yes, there are the fees that the cruise ship industry pays. Divers are small potatoes.
Exactly what I was thinking. Seems to be the case at every "dive destination" really. When they start, they're all about attracting divers. Once divers have brought enough interest to the area for some other tourist industry to get a foothold diving takes a big back seat.

There's a new post tonight, seems they've changed their mind at where this new dock is going and what it'll be. More like a dock in downtown with a bridge crossing the road to a two story plaza area but get this - it'll be right next to Palmar Condos, the dock area will be just south of Sunset Beach Club/Sand Dollar which puts the dock on top of the northern part of the coral reef restoration area..................... @Christi would know more how this kinda stuff goes, I'm just posting what I see and what I see is well ****...

NotImporta Cozumel

NotImporta Cozumel

That explains why three people yesterday were doing a bunch if photos and videos just to the south of sunset. They gonna have to move the busts of Cousteau and Sylvia Earle from there if that's the location...also it would probably be out to Villablanca wall....so maybe will affect that dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom