Full Moon and Currents - PG/Bohol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

limirl

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am going to dive in Puerto Galera and Bohol (balicasag island) the end of november early december. While I know that certain dive sites in puerto galera have some significant currents and probably more so around the time of the full moon. Does alona beach/balicasag have significant currents/tides affected by the full moon like PG does ? I try to avoid dive sites with a lot of current due to the fact that I often have a lot of trouble equalizing and so have to descend very slowly. Unfortunately in a fast current by the time I get down often I have overshot the dive site and end up in open water which is what happened to me last year in PG. If bohol does not have currents as bad as PG then I would try visit PG well before the full moon and stronger tidal differences.

Any advice ?

limrl, I can't speak for bohol... But In PG, currents depend all upon when in the tidal cycle the Dive OP take you to the site. Hit it right, and there isn't much current. Hit it wrong (or right if you are looking for it) and it turns into a wild ride and hold onto your hat! If you let the operator know about your aversion, they should be able to avoid it. Plus in PG, there are always a few dives that are current free you can do.

My GF has the same ear balancing problem you do. It always takes her a good 5 minutes to get down to depth. She had no problems doing the sites, even with a bit of current (Canyons, fish bowl, and the likes).

Let the DM know about your condition. Almost all of the sites can be done from near shore (little current) and ease your way down to the site (ex: Start at hole in the wall and lead down to Canyons).

Just my 0.02$ Have fun over there!:coffee:

I am going to dive in Puerto Galera and Bohol (balicasag island) the end of november early december. While I know that certain dive sites in puerto galera have some significant currents and probably more so around the time of the full moon. Does alona beach/balicasag have significant currents/tides affected by the full moon like PG does ? I try to avoid dive sites with a lot of current due to the fact that I often have a lot of trouble equalizing and so have to descend very slowly. Unfortunately in a fast current by the time I get down often I have overshot the dive site and end up in open water which is what happened to me last year in PG. If bohol does not have currents as bad as PG then I would try visit PG well before the full moon and stronger tidal differences.

Any advice ?

Hi Limirl,

As Codman says the best thing is to check with the local operators, most in PG know the tides well, however it's also worth checking the tide tables yourself before you head out so you know for sure when you can hit slack water. Sites like the Canyons is still very good dive when there is no current, but for dives like the Canyons the current really makes a great dive.

Tide tables for Puerto Galera and Bohol are available free from the links below:

Puerto Galera Tides Tables Philippines

Bohol Tide Predictor

Be aware of the possible PG entry points in different currents, for example the Canyons is easy to get too from Shark Cave and The Hole in the Wall on in slack water, when it's an Ebb tide you can only go from Shark Cave (towards the Hole in the Wall), when it's on a Flood you can only go the other way from Hole in the Wall to Shark Cave (I think it's that way round?). The same logic applies to most of the PG sites away from the shore, and even many close to it.

If you use nitrox to get more bottom time (or get the timing just right) you can hit start the Canyons in slack water and end up meeting a quite strong current towards the end of the dive - best of both worlds! See if the local operators can set this type of dive up for you.

I'm not sure on the Bohol sites but am sure the same logic will work.

Hope that helps and have fun!

Karl

Back
Top Bottom