Full-face masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all-

I'm sure this has already been dealt with on these boards somewhere, but I'm not having much luck finding the info I'm after. So...forgive me if this is redundant.

In any event, I'm intrigued by full-face masks like the Neptune II and have a few questions:

1. How does equalization work? As I understand it, these kind of "automatically" equalize your ears, but I have no idea whether that's true or how it works.

2. Are they needlessly complicated? I dive just fine with my regular equipment, but suffer from some jaw pain (previous injuries) after multiple dives (especially if doing multiple dives over multiple days). I've heard that these help with that, but I don't want to hassle with something that's more trouble than it's worth.

3. How are they for safety? Are they easily removed in the event of an OOA emergency?

4. Are they comfortable? I kind of like the idea of the added viz but wonder about all the straps and contact points around the head and face.

5. Finally, if you've used a communications system with them, how do you like it? Do you use the com stuff during general rec. diving, or only for specialized tasks?

Any info would be much appreciated.

aphelion:
Hello all-

I'm sure this has already been dealt with on these boards somewhere, but I'm not having much luck finding the info I'm after. So...forgive me if this is redundant.

In any event, I'm intrigued by full-face masks like the Neptune II and have a few questions:

1. How does equalization work? As I understand it, these kind of "automatically" equalize your ears, but I have no idea whether that's true or how it works.

2. Are they needlessly complicated? I dive just fine with my regular equipment, but suffer from some jaw pain (previous injuries) after multiple dives (especially if doing multiple dives over multiple days). I've heard that these help with that, but I don't want to hassle with something that's more trouble than it's worth.

3. How are they for safety? Are they easily removed in the event of an OOA emergency?

4. Are they comfortable? I kind of like the idea of the added viz but wonder about all the straps and contact points around the head and face.

5. Finally, if you've used a communications system with them, how do you like it? Do you use the com stuff during general rec. diving, or only for specialized tasks?

Any info would be much appreciated.

I'm surprised that nothing comes up in a search. We seem to talk about this all of the time! :D I will try to take your points in order.

(1) Equalization is not automatic. All of the FFM's have a nose-block that you use to block off the nostrils by pushing the mask against your face, or a pocket to reach into with fingers and "pinch" the nose.

(2) They are not any more complicated than an ordinary mask, just a little bit bigger.

(3) Despite the fact that they usually have a "spider", (five-straps all connected to hold them on), removing is a breeze. Just push out and up on the bottom of the mask.

Generally accepted practice holds that, as a back-up, you should carry a small, low-voume mask in a pocket. If you find that the second-stage on the mask has failed, you strip it off, stick your octo in your gob, and don your spare. No ay una problema, as we say here in Tejas!

(4) The viz in the better ones, like the AGA (Divator MKII), is awesome. It is like having your own picture window. Some are more comfortable than others, depending on your face-shape.

(5) I use both through-water and hard-wire comms for specific tasks, although I note more and more people are starting to use the Buddy-Phones while recreational diving!

Try: www.oceantechnologysystems.com

Maybe I'm not searching right. I've tried things like "full face", "full-face", "neptune II", etc. While I get lots of hits, the topics seem fairly irrelevant and I don't really want to wade through a million other posts, you dig? Thanks for the info on equalization!

BigJetDriver:
Actually, check above, and you will see there is more! :D

Thanks, I didn't notice the other items earlier. I really appreciate the feedback and link!

Here's a recent article on FFMs that will answer your questions as well as review some of the top models including Neptune II: FULL FACE MASKS

Personally, I think FFMs are awesome. AGAs are the absolute best but there are less expensive options as well. We're actually running an FFM special in the Scubaboard "HOT DEALs" section on my favorite sport diver model. You can check it out here:OTS MANTIS FFM

If you need further info let me know!

I recently switched to a Kirby Morgan M48 Supermask which is also available from Oceanic/JMC and I prefer it to any other FFM I have used.

The upper portion of the mask is much like a conventional scuba mask while the lower half of the mask incorporates a removeable pod. This allows you to remove the lower pod with out flooding the upper part of the mask and enables you to switch to another regulator without the need to remove the mask and don a backup mask.

The mask is also low volume compared to most other FFM's and has a lot less bouyancy than an FFM like the AGA. Street price is also very good compared to many other masks at around $300-$350.

The M48 is set up for a com system which is usable any time the lower pod is in place.

The M49 also uses a quick release buckle on the back of the 4 point harness whihc makes getting out of the mask very quick and easy. The harness is very secure but also very comfortable - more so than the 5 point harnesses I have used in the past.

Visibility is like a regular scuba mask and ear clearing is done in a similar manner by pinching your nose in the mask's nose pocket with no need for a nose block.

The Mantis and Scubapro full face mask share the same visibility and clearing traits as the M48 and all are a bit more "normal" to a recreational diver in that regard than one of the other FFM's available.

The SP and Mantis masks are very similar. The SP mask is in the same price range as the M48 and given a choice, spend the money on the much more capable M48. If money is tight, the Mantis is a real buy with a street price of not too much more than half the cost of the SP mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom