Full face masks and prescription lens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CDNScubaMoose

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I looked through many of the FFM threads but couldn't find one that addressed this question. I am thinking of going to a FFM for recreational diving but I also wear glasses. Currently I dive with prescription lens in my mask but curious as to what would be my options if I went FFM? I assum that contacts would be one option but the idea of poking myself in the eye twice a day leaves something to be desired. Lasik eye surgery would likely be another - but if I'm squemish about poking myself in the eye then guess what my thoughts are about a laser near my eyes.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

There are basicly five choices you can go with:

1. No correction and maybe the refraction underwater will makeup for your eye sight.
2. Get the glue in type lenses and install them in the mask (Kirby Morgan M48 or EXO26, will not work with an AGA).
3. Buy an "in mask" frame for corrective lenses like MSA or Scott make for self contained breathing apperatus for fire fighting.
4. Wear contacts
5. Have laser surgery like I did.

You will eventually git over the "don't poke my eye" issue. Lasik is well worth the money and you don't have to ever worry about where to stash your glasses.

There is an eyewear insert for the AGA mask. Basically a glasses frame that is mounted in the mask. The OTS Guardian will have a similar insert that you can also wear with a strap when you are not diving.

I wear glasses, but not when diving. My eyes are on the borderline, the refraction allows me to see pretty well. For the little stuff, I have a gauge reader installed on my visor under my dominant eye. See photo.

My older brother had lasik, as he describes it, it was the best thing he'd ever done for himself.

Attachments

• Gauge reader.JPG
    Gauge reader.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,059
Back in the 70’s I had a prescription mask. When I started doing some light commercial diving and using a Kirby Morgan band mask I decided to start using my regular contact lenses underwater. I never used my prescription mask again.

Since then I have been looking at a permanent correction. About 12 years ago I had Lasik surgery and it truly one of the best things I have ever done for myself. I would never look back…I just whish I could have done it sooner.

I have used prescription masks for years and finally switched to disposable contacts this year because I grew tired of purchasing a new mask, new glasses and new sun glasses every time my prescription changed. Once you get used to putting them in and removing them it is no big deal at all and the disposables are maintenance free, just toss 'em out at the end of the day. I have many dives with them and had no problems.

Back
Top Bottom