Full Face Masks Aga or M-48

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ralawrence

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am trying to choose between the AGA MkII and Kirby Morgan M-48

The AGA has has a great reputation and long history of quality. The air flow system keeps the face plate clear under the most adverse conditions. Unless I am willing to install a $350 gas shift block to transfer between main and bail-out air would require the removal of the mask.

The M-48 will not have the airflow across the lens,e.g., more fogging problems and the viewing area is somewhat smaller. Shifting from main to bailout air does not compromise the mask, i.e., much easier and the gas shift block is not needed. Essentially the same methods as basic SCUBA skills (Octopus)

I often dive with a surface tender and communications appear to be equal (using the OTS Buddy phone).

Comments and opinions would be welcomed.

ralawrence:
I am trying to choose between the AGA MkII and Kirby Morgan M-48

The AGA has has a great reputation and long history of quality. The air flow system keeps the face plate clear under the most adverse conditions. Unless I am willing to install a $350 gas shift block to transfer between main and bail-out air would require the removal of the mask.

The M-48 will not have the airflow across the lens,e.g., more fogging problems and the viewing area is somewhat smaller. Shifting from main to bailout air does not compromise the mask, i.e., much easier and the gas shift block is not needed. Essentially the same methods as basic SCUBA skills (Octopus)

I often dive with a surface tender and communications appear to be equal (using the OTS Buddy phone).

Comments and opinions would be welcomed.

hi ralawrence
i have used both masks in the past
i like the aga for the same reasons
however i had the same problem with the bail out
what i did was to buy a gas blending tee from a weilding company
if primary fails shut down that side through the tee and open the other
only thing is that you have to shut down one side before opening other
also it does not solve the problem of second stage failure
you still have to carry a second mask and octo
hope this helps

I've used both masks with their respective open circuit 2nd stages (mated to my Atomic B1 first stage.
Both were equiped with OTS comms, the M-48 with Buddy Phone and the AGAs with Buddy Phone or 2010.
in regards to comms there was no difference, both masks (and both comm systems) worked well.

For OC I prefer the AGA, the build quality is much higher, the Diveator II second stage (I usesd the semi-postive pressure version) is one of the best second stage in production. The face shield stays clear without any fogging at all. And it has a much superior field of vision. I also find the AGA's 5 band harness more comfortable.

I needed to modify the nose block to equalize as it was to small for my nostrils.

The M-48 has the advantage of "normal" handling, the use of an octopus for example, or squeezing the nose pocket to equalize. It also allows you to keep the bite piece in your mouth when not using comms. That reduces the masks dead space and potential for CO2 build up. Probably less of an issue with the AGA's gas path, but for masks with completely separated compartments a nice feature.

The main drawback of the M-48 is the field of vision, it simply sucks. Worst I remember of any mask I tried.

Bad enough that unless you have a really good reason (like the use of a rebreather hooked up to K-M's M-48 BOV pod) go with the AGA.

If you need a gas switch block, they are available from several sources.
J&M Engineering sell a beautifully made one, and Divematics USA also offers them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom