Full-face masks advantages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CoralSeaMan

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have been thinking about the need to be able to communicate effectively while diving. I have never had a close call that was made worse by lack of communication, but clearly better communication would be safer. I am a recreational diver who does about 40 dives a year in fresh and salt water, warm and cold. How reasonable is a full-face mask with communications gear?

A full face mask does add a level of complexity. For example, switching to an octo or sharing air with an FFM is no longer a simple skill as you have to be able to remove the mask and don a backup mask to access your octo or a buddy's gas.

Some are also quite positively bouyant and can screw up your trim.

A FFM, and in particular a positive presusre FFM will increase gas consumption. Even an FFM with a demand reg will increase gasconsumption if you are using commuication equipment as speech is not consitent with an efficient breathing pattern.

So...an FFM adds more complexity to emergency drills, creates possible bouyancy/trim issues and increases gas consumption. In contrast, you have never had a close call that was made worse by lack of comms. If you can envision the negatives of a FFM making a close call worse, and/or your objectives during your dives do not require communication, then an FFM makes no sense.

If you go that route anyway, consider the Kirby Morgan KM48. It has a removeable lower pod that makes it possible to share your primary reg as well as breathe off your own octo, deco bottles or a buddy's regulator without having to remove the mask. It is in my opinon the only truely recreational and technical diving friendly FFM available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom