Full Face Mask - Ocean Reef Neptune Space or OTS Guardian?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yozzozo

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I'm new posting on here, but have been reading posts for a while. Both my buddy and I are planning on getting a full face mask for an upcoming dive trip, and we'd like to know what people think of these 2 masks. We are definitely going to get one of these two, and we're definitely going to get the "basic" (diver to diver only, single duplex) comm system.

We're both very amateur recreational divers, having logged less than 30 dives. We like warm water, and prioritize safety, comfort, and the experience of the dive over all else. No technical diving, no cave diving, etc. We're familiar with the benefits of FFMs and are sold on them. Now it's just a matter of which one to get. We've seen all the other ones on the market and these are the only ones that make sense.

So what do you guys think of these? Would be great to compare and contrast them and get strengths and weaknesses. Please don't recommend anything other than the Neptune Space (no Predator, etc) or the OTS Guardian. Also, please exclude price in your opinions, I'm familiar with the cost of each of these and can get them each at very similar prices. Also hopefully people will use real world experience in their comparisons and opinions - for example, saying the Neptune sucks because it evolved from a gas mask (which may or may not be true) is not helpful at all.

Thanks guys!

I think they all evolved from a gas mask, so don't let that cloud your thinking. I'd go with the OTS, I prefer the fit and the durability.

not to thread jack but i am selling 2 OR predators with comms and and quick disconnects

i Have used the ots guardian and now have bought the ocean reef Neptune, the ots is a good system but my personal view is the neptune is a better over all mask for durability and comfort.
if you look at the 2 side by side and see what is offered in each mask you will be able to make a choice that best suits you.

A dive buddy of mine uses an Ocean Reef Neptune for work at Epcot. He brought a couple of them for me to try during a pool session to see if I liked them before I intended to buy one (he does not use one recreationally). We put them through my standard tests when I can try out gear:
  • Dump and Dive
  • Bailouts
  • Flood and Clear
  • Remove, Don and Clear
  • Buddy Under Water Gear Swap
The view is awesome, the seal is great and it is not difficult to clear the mask. While tempting to buy, there are a couple of issues that ultimately kept me from doing so.
  • For safety, you will always need to carry a back-up mask and real octo (not the one on the BC inflator) in the event of an equipment failure.
  • The regulator somewhat free-flows when looking downward unless turned down to a significantly harder draw on the breathing. Even then, it will use quite a bit of air when looking downward.
  • The quick connect hose will easily disconnect if snagged on gear or something else. (This happened to me during the dump and dive where it snagged my BC inflator and popped the hose right off)
Until you can significantly get your SAC rate down and learn to breath differently (through your nose instead of your mouth) you will consume your air significantly faster resulting in less bottom time. The other thing is that if removing, flooding, doning and clearing your mask makes you uncomfortable (it does not bother me at all), these tasks do not get easier with a full face mask. I would highly recommend drilling these skills often and until they become second nature with this mask.

One question about full face masks ... how do you equalize?

One question about full face masks ... how do you equalize?
There is a nose-block you push on....it is adjustable to fit you. It blocks your nostrils.

Our local Diver Supply store had a demo day and I took the opportunity to test one out. I actually liked it and I see one in my future. Just waiting for a Christmas sale.

Back
Top Bottom