Full Face mask, Ocean Reef G-Diver ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian Robinson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I/we are contemplating buying a Ocean Reef G-diver FFM with the coms package. It will run us about $1000 each. My dive buddy has a problem getting a good mask fit(always leaking ) and I am just tired of swallowing salt water. The FFM seems like a great alternative. No leaking, no salt water up the nose. We can communicate better so we don't lose each other. And can get each others attention when we see something cool. We both have been getting more confident and experienced as we make more dives and go a little deeper each time. I have learned I need a large 100 or 120 tank because I am an Air-hog. The Company Rep told me this could also help with my air consumption. Can I please get any advise and comment from divers who are using FFM?? They also offer an excellent training course.

My wife and I just bought ocean reef g-diver masks. We love them but they do take a lot of getting used to. Neither of us are pro's but we were very comfortable and confident in the water. I'd say 10 dives on the FFM to get back to the point where I was enjoying the dive rather than working on using the masks.

The rep that told you your gas consumption will go down is flat out lying on that point. It will go up. That's been our experience and several long time FFM users on this site have told us that's pretty much always how it goes.

Also, you should expect a significant discount off the list price ($1k each is list) if you buy a pair of them from an ocean reef dealer. We bought two masks with comms, diverters, and surface air valves for $1600 total. If your shop won't give you close to that, then you should drive over to the east coast and see the folks at Bill Jackson's Shop for Adventure: (727) 576-4169

I do recall finding the masks with comms online for $900 each at several sites but I don't think those included the diverter and surface air valve.

Also, ask your shop to let you guys try a pair in the pool. Our shop has both rental masks and the ocean reef sales rep guy shows up every month or two to do a free "try" day where you can jump in the pool and play with the masks for an hour or two.

Also, training was included in my purchase. Is your shop trying to charge you extra for a class on the masks? If so, it would definitely be worth your time to drive across the state.

Also, ask your shop to let you guys try a pair in the pool. Our shop has both rental masks and the ocean reef sales rep guy shows up every month or two to do a free "try" day where you can jump in the pool and play with the masks for an hour or two.

Also, training was included in my purchase. Is your shop trying to charge you extra for a class on the masks? If so, it would definitely be worth your time to drive across the state.
Thanks for the advise. I'm going to give my LDS a call.

I'd urge you to check out the OTS Spectrum. Better quality imo than Ocean Reef both on the mask and comms, but it has a silicone nose pocket so you can equalize normally. Price is about the same as the Ocean Reef, but you have to/get to use your existing second stage which is nice.

I have a Poseidon Atmosphere, which is a different animal entirely

I have the Spectrum and for me using a FFM was a game changer. The Spectrum seals easy, never leaks, it's easy to clear, you don't have nose blocks and has attachment points for lights or a camera. Plus as a bonus you can use just about any regulator you want. Excellent mask.

I have been diving in Ocean reef space predator for the past two years and I have about 75 dives with it. Excellent FFM, it has totally ruined me from the conventional mask. Never fogs up (unless your on the surface and have the port open) never leaks, and fantastic visibility. You'll use a little more air at first, but I've got mine down to .50 on a regular basis now. So it can be done.

I have been using a FFM for years. Originally started with the Interspiro AGA and recently purchased the OTS Spectrum. I really like the Spectrum, much better seal, comfortable, you can use whatever second stage you want (pretty much), and you can pinch your nose instead of pushing up the mask to utilize the block. The only problem I had with it was fogging, contacted OTS and they said you have to treat it like a regular scuba mask, clean the film off the inside and use a defogger. The AGA was good but I had a problem getting a seal after a few years. I had lost some weight and got older so it would leak out at my temples, drove me crazy. I have also used the OTS Guardian, nice mask as well, same seal as the Spectrum, but has the block to seal the nose to equalize. The last FFM I had tried was the Kirby Morgan EXO 26. Found it to be bulky and a little heavy, tends to pull your head down so you have to keep looking up. As far as air consumption, as stated above, you will use more air, but I found with the Spectrum I used less than when I used the AGA. You also may have to add some weight to offset a FMM's positive buoyancy.

I have both the Ocean Reef G.Diver and the OTS Spectrum. I think the Ocean Reef fits great. No issue with the seal. I did have to learn to seat my chin first, tighten bottom straps, then work my way to the top, and leave the top kind of loose.

I am NOT a fan of the nose blocks at all which is why I bought the spectrum. I was very surprised at how small the spectrum is. I am tall and slender but I wear a size 7 hat. I don't consider myself to have a larger head/face but when I put on the spectrum my face is very cramped.

BTW, the com systems between OTS and Ocean Reef can communicate but you cannot swap the systems between each mask. I own comms for the Ocean Reef but not for the OTS.... Yet.

Now I am curious about buying the OTS Guardian. It has a triangular nose block that looks like it would work better than the dial nostril plugs of the ocean reef. Ideally, I could find some kind of adapter or aftermarket nose plug for the Ocean Reef mask but so far nothing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom