Full Face Mask Alternative

Would You buy a Light Weight Diving Helmet?

• Nope, a FFM is all we need.

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Yes, if under $1000.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Yes, if under $2000.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Yes, money is no object when it comes to safety.

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob3

Contributor
Reaction score
How many of you folks would be interested in seeing a light weight diving helmet developed as an alternative to a FFM for diving in contaminated water (or for us folks that have ear problems)? You'd be able to safely dive with ear tubes installed.

Public Safety Divers, now's your chance to speak up. In spite of what some of the books say, a full face mask is not appropriate for any significant amount of contamination, and most team budgets can't swing the $10,000 for a pair of Superlites.

Commercial announcement.
But on your poll you omitted a choice. "Depends on level of contamination"

Different types of contamination require different types of exposure protection.

But that being said, gimme your schpeel!

ID

Plans for a lightweight hat aren't even on the drawing board yet, I'm just trying to establish a "need" for one. The folks over at Morse Diving have been the only ones so far that have even bothered to show any interest, and they said "show us the numbers".
I just had ear tubes installed 2 weeks ago, so I wish I'd have one right now!!
Luckily, I have a couple of regular commercial hats I can use but the idea of going on any kind of trip with a 35lb piece of headgear isn't very appealing.
I realize this forum isn't a "target rich" environment for PSDs, but I'm thinking there are at least a few folks with trashed out ears that might want to be able to keep on diving.
It'd also be a good idea for folks that do a lot of cold water diving to keep their ear canals warm & dry to prevent the buildup of bone in the ear canal, something that you really don't think about too much, but it does happen with a lot of accumulated exposure.:cold:

When I refer to "contamination" I mean anything that you'd want to wash off your skin afterwards.

Sounds like an interesting idea. I know they have some that they use at Coral World in St. Thomas that allows anyone to go underwater, thought they are not totally self contained.

I don’t think you could make a lightweight diving helmet! If you don’t add weight to it, it will pull your head off! What’s to keep the thing neutral in the water? Have you ever held a Super Light 17 diving helmet? It’s not so Super light! :confused:

Should be able to turn out a hat that weighs in under 20-25 lbs. (I'd consider that light weight).
US Divers had an interesting idea back in the "pre-Superlite" days; they had a hat that used a water bladder in place of the snoopy. The water bladder also was what kept the hat clamped on your head. They were quite comfy & I even dove mine a few times where it didn't leak!
:p

I know a guy who uses a mask that has ear cups and equalization tubes between the mask and the cups. He dives with perferated ear drums. He even has a hood that was nade to be used with it. Looks more comfy than a helmet and less expensive.

Back
Top Bottom