Fuji F50sd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlvrDragon50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was wondering if anyone uses this?

I already have the camera but I need to decide if I should spend the 300 dollars to get the casing.

I also have a Nikon D80 but that case is.. rather expensive.

Ah, the joys of realizing that housing a DSLR will cost a fortune.

Are you talking about the Fuji or Ikelite housing? Either would let you add accessory lenses. The advantage of an Ikelite housing is that they're very serviceable.

If you plan on getting a strobe, make sure to buy one with TTL or an auto feature. Otherwise, the Fuji's flash will dump as much power as possible. In other words, you'll drain the battery faster and possibly let more light into the housing. When I shoot my Olympus, I put it on slave mode, level one and shoot my strobe manually. That allows it to recycle almost instantly. From my experience with the F31 there isn't a slave mode or flash exposure compensation.

I was looking at the Ikelite housing for the Fuji since it was only 40 dollars more I think..

I read else where that the Fuji has trouble focusing in the water..As far as getting a strobe, I'm doubtful about that.

The camera alone will allow you to do some nice macro shots. Just get very, very close. Don't expect much in the line of diver portraits or reef scenics. You would need a wider view. If you want that kind of photo, buy a Magic Filter. They're cheep and will let you shoot a little further away. I'm posting a photo with the F31 using a Filter.

90317864.jpg

Last edited:
I just sold my F31fd. It lasted 10 minutes on eBay before someone asked if I would do a buy-it-now option.

Your current Fuji will do a fine job. Ok - not quite as nice as an F30 or F31fd but certainly good enough for basic use without question. The uw housing is NOT $300 - you can get one for about $150. That's well worth it.

fuji f50 housing - Google Product Search

Please review my sig for uw tips to help you along.

Best regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom