Ft Wetherill 10-13-17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkaelin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Was happy to get another quick dive in at Ft Wetherill Friday afternoon before the NE season closes for me. Arrived around 4 PM. Parking lot empty except for one other car. Partly cloudy, winds from the S/E making the cove with the boat ramp calm. Tide high. Air temp around 64 and same for the water. Vis looked promising from the ramp but once in still a lot of particulate matter hanging in the water column. Vis was decent though 6-8 but not a clear 6-8. I could see rocks off in the distance and distinguish between the sand bottom, rocks and water between the rocks at 10' or so but not clearly. Nice dive, saw a skate (see short video), flounder, scup, star fish and a number of lobsters.

Attachments

• MICR0008.JPG
    MICR0008.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 72
  • MICR0015.JPG
    MICR0015.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 65
  • MICR0019.JPG
    MICR0019.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 56
I was there on Sunday. conditions were tolerable. We went along the western side of Sandy Beach Cove. Visibility was 8-10'. Not the best diving, but with nothing but storms churning the Atlantic, you take what you can get. There was plenty of marine life, a number of scup, Tautaug, black sea bass. With the shortening days, objects on the bottom that were unidentifiable under a layer of kelp are becoming more visible. I saw a couple of objects that were likely car engines/transmissions that would be mistaken for rocks at other times of year. There was a particularly large on that I am interested in getting and opinion on. I shot some video of it, but need to cut it down and clean it up.

Glad Sunday was at least tolerable. Sat turned out to be a soaker.

Back
Top Bottom