Ft. Pickens Night Dive Report 07-23-2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MRXRAY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Picked up Recharge around 6:00 PM and met Hetland at Ft. Pickens a little after 6:30 on Saturday for a night dive at Ft. Pickens. There were a lot of fisherman along the bank as we entered the water so w decided to stay a little deeper and further from shore to avoid conflict with any fisherman.

We opted to head for the monster tires toward the west of our main starting point (Tire with rods) and look for Octopus but I didn't see much worth turning my camera on for during the first 15 minutes of the dive. Hetland was shooting regularly during the first part of the dive but I was so focused on finding some of our regular Octopus that I never stopped to shoot anything else. Tunnel Vision? Probably so, but I love those Octopus.

So after about 20 minutes looking to the west, we headed back toward the Pipe Organ and moved around the rocks in this area, and..... BOOM! Two BIG Octopus out in the open.....Mating! It's times like these when you have to try and decide if you wnat some good quality photos or some video. Vis was less than ideal and since the Octopus seemed a bit "Preoctopied" I decided to shoot a couple of photos and then switch to video. Well the Disco strobe lights were not enhancing the mood so the Male decided to call it an evening and I got just a couple of photos and just a couple of seconds of video as he took off.

Thinking we had our shots for the night I took just a few other pictures of some of the local's and was working our way back up the slope toward our flag when I came across a Gaggle of squid. Four large squid about 8 inches or so long were just hovering near the Jeep tire. It was real cool to watch them flash colors after the strobe fired as if to send some secret decoder message back to me that they too were worried about being eaten by larger fish.....

We made it back to shore after about an hour of vis that was maybe 10 feet at best, and kind of green particulate which limited vis and made most photo work require macro photography. It was still a nice dive and worth the trip to Pickens and the long strip of 20 mph Speed traps.

We ended the evening at IHOP to discuss the evening's diving and plan our next big adventure. Here are a few photos:

DSC01907.jpg

DSC01906.jpg

DSC01904.jpg

DSC01903.jpg

DSC01902.jpg

DSC01897.jpg

Here are the squid photo's:

DSC01938.jpg

DSC01954.jpg

DSC01952.jpg

DSC01950.jpg

DSC01944.jpg

Oh, and we also found a small frog fish. Here is the photo:

DSC01931.jpg

Visibility conditions were pretty poor, but not undiveable. Barry and Larry ditched me early in the dive so they could head to their secret cephalopod garden with dancing octopuses and squids. :wink: I busied myself with finding critters to photograph, and found things pretty sparse. I think this is because we were diving at twilight, and it was shift-change on the reef. I was too late to shoot the day shift, and too early to shoot the night shift. On top of the crappy conditions, I just wasn't at the top of my game. It had been a few weeks since I had my camera down, and I never got into the photography groove while I was down.

Anyway, I did come across a few rare photo opportunities. None of my photos turned out well, but a few are worth posting.

Lane Snapper. They're Magically Delicious!
IMG_3001a.jpg

Guitarfish. Usually they let you take a few shots if you approach respectfully, but this guy bolted before I could get into position. As a result, all I got was the parting shot.
IMG_2993a.jpg

Butterflyfish, about the size of my thumbnail. This shot was a p.i.t.a. to get.
IMG_3014a.jpg

I saw a few of these guys buried in seaweed, apparently asleep.
IMG_2990a.jpg

At first I thought these were slippery dicks, but they also resembled parrotfish and razorfish. Any help with a good ID appreciated...
IMG_2989a.jpg

Always fun to see the critters you guys find :D

Hetland, the last pic is a parrotfish for sure, but I don't have my i.d. books with me so I don't know the species. This is what parrotfish do at night - sleep on the bottom with a mucous cocoon around them. Xray, great squid pics. I never seen squid in any of my Destin snorkeling excursions. Maybe they are more common at night?

Hetland, the last pic is a parrotfish for sure, but I don't have my i.d. books with me so I don't know the species. This is what parrotfish do at night - sleep on the bottom with a mucous cocoon around them. Xray, great squid pics. I never seen squid in any of my Destin snorkeling excursions. Maybe they are more common at night?

Thanks Dave, I was hoping you would chime in. I've seen juvenile parrots do this in Lauderdale, but have yet to see the cocoon. This would be my first time seeing a parrotfish in our area waters.

I've seen schools of squid on the Ms. Louise in Destin (at night) and squid often at Ft. Pickens (again, always at night), but the ones I see at Pickens are all rather small. The ones XRay and Recharge saw Saturday were pretty big.

The next time you guys do any night dives , I would like to go. Larry has my number. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom