Ft. Pickens Dive Report 07-16-2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MRXRAY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Our plans to fill our freezers with Red Snapper on Saturday was cut short by bad weather offshore so we decided to make the best of it by heading to Ft. Pickens to do a bit of diving. Except for a bit of rain conditions were fairly nice on the bay side and we made it to the water really close to an hour before high tide. Recharge and I splashed at around 1010AM and were pleasantly suprised to find viz about 30 feet. The viz was really good out in the channel so we did a lot of exploring way out in the channel and found wome really cool areas that we will have to revisit to the NorthEast of the car frame.
On our way we came across the usual critters and during our safety stop we came across a real cool Octopus in about 12 feet of water that we played with for quite a while. Not a real big one, but it was very interested in playing with us. I snapped a few pictures and recharge grabbed my camera from me to get the few with me and/or my hand in it.

DSC01832.jpg

DSC01829.jpg

DSC01814.jpg

DSC01813.jpg

DSC01810.jpg

DSC01805.jpg

DSC01797.jpg

Dive was 71 minutes, with a max depth of 62 feet and min water temp was 83*. Vis was bout 30 feet average.

We took a very short surface interval to switch tanks and headed right back to meet some friends who had joined us underwater. Marcus took us to a BIG Octopus they had found and we offered it parts of a Spade fish we had found which made for a cool video that I'll try to post in a bit.

Second dive was 65 minutes to a max depth of 50 feet with a min temp of 81* and viz had dropped to about 15-20 feet with the tide flip. We also got to play with the same Octopus who decided to come completely out of It's "Hidey Hole" onto Recharge's hand, a decision that we require him to have years of therapy to recover from.....

MAH018541.jpg

This 40 second video of a Spade fish head that we fed the Octopus is cool because at the end he says thankyou in a very interesting way, check it out....

Ft Pickens, We are truly BLESSED to have a close place to dive such as this.You never know what you will come upon ,the versitility of the marine life is truly amazing.Case in point, these two dives were a back up to our spearfishing dive that was canceled due to high seas.To be able to dive a site like this as a backup and have an unbelievable photographic opportunity with a very cool Octopus is what makes this site so great. THANK YOU MR, X-RAY for the great video ,truly a dive to remember.:zap:

Just after dark you can find one or two hunting the rubble pile SE of the organ/rocket launcher and E of the upright tire/cage. After you do your search here, head to the organ and look in the usual holes, then head WNW to the Western rubble pile, where you can usually find several in their dens, and if you are lucky, one out hunting.

Daytime is more of a crapshoot. I usually find them in pipes or tubes in the daytime, but you'll be lucky to get one to come out, even if you bring live crabs as a tribute.....

We are going to be at Ft. Pickens at 6:30 PM for a late day dive and then a night dive. You are welcome to come out and hang if you'd like.

Hetland is right on with the locations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom