FS: NIB Novae Dive LED Light 900LM - 100 Meters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

novaeproducts

Contributor
Reaction score
Specs:

* Weight: 8.6oz (289.3g)
* Length: 6.0″ (17.3cm)
* Max Output: 900 Lumens
* Switch: Rotary Magnetic Switch
* Battery: 1×18650 Rechargeable Li-ion
* Function: 100%-50%-10% Brightness / SOS / Strobe
* Runtime: 2/3/4/6 Hours (high/low setting)
* Diving Limit: 50 Meters
* Material: Aerospace-grade Aluminum Alloy
* Finish: HAIII

Package Content:

* Dive Flashlight
* 1×18650 Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery
* Home Charger
* Car Charger
* Nylon Holster
* Lanyard
* Charging Barrel
* Aluminum Case

Sales Price (includes shipping):

* USA: $109.00 (USPS Priority Mail)
* Canada: $123.00 (USPS Priority International)
* Worldwide: $136.00 (USPS Priority International)

To order via PayPal, please go to: Tactical HID Dive Light (900LM)

For inquiries, please e-mail: novae [DOT] products [AT] hotmail [DOT] com

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

Last edited:
No, but the numbers don't add up and there is too little information. We don't know who made it so we can't check it out.

We don't know what led is in it that is claimed to put out 900 lumens. It runs on one 18650 battery. It's claimed to run for 2 hours on high (that's impossible). It would be an hour or less.

The case, battery, and battery charger probably cost as much as the dive light.

If you buy one and want to be the guinea pig be sure to write up a product review after you get it. :)

I'm not sure that it was initially designed as a dive light. It has a crenelated bezel...that's not needed or desired in a dive light. It will probably have a floody light. It's probably using a P7 led which would be floody especially in such a small light.

To answer your question though...I've never heard of it. I do have the two battery version that they and others were selling on here a while back which also had a crenelated bezel and external heat sinks. That one is a decent light and there are many more people selling it and therefore there are many more divers using it and there are more reviews.

It's strange the way these odd looking "dive lights" keep popping up which no manufacturer attached to them. There is no feedback into the design of these lights by divers. It would be good if one Chinese company would consult with divers before they churn out these lights. Generally they need thicker glass lens, better o-rings no sharp edges and in this case two batteries for a decent dive time.

There is probably no testing that went into the development of this product which was the case with the last version with the spring that was too long and caused almost every light sold to flood.

No, but the numbers don't add up and there is too little information. We don't know who made it so we can't check it out.

We don't know what led is in it that is claimed to put out 900 lumens. It runs on one 18650 battery. It's claimed to run for 2 hours on high (that's impossible). It would be an hour or less.

If you buy one and want to be the guinea pig be sure to write up a product review after you get it. :)

I'm not sure that it was initially designed as a dive light. It has a crenelated bezel...that's not needed or desired in a dive light. It will probably have a floody light. It's probably using a P7 led which would be floody especially in such a small light.

To answer your question though...I've never heard of it. I do have the two battery version that they and others were selling on here a while back which also had a crenelated bezel and external heat sinks. That one is a decent light and there are many more people selling it and therefore there are many more divers using it and there are more reviews.

It's strange the way these odd looking "dive lights" keep popping up which no manufacturer attached to them. There is no feedback into the design of these lights by divers. It would be good if one Chinese company would consult with divers before they churn out these lights. Generally they need thicker glass lens, better o-rings no sharp edges and in this case two batteries for a decent dive time.

There is probably no testing that went into the development of this product which was the case with the last version with the spring that was too long and caused almost every light sold to flood.

This light is using a SSC P7 LED. The information is in accordance with the manufacturer specs. However, I'll try to personally test run this light and see if the manufacturer specs are correct or not since you see some discrepancies with the information. Also, I've sold a few of these already and I haven't had any problems with flooding so far. As long as the tailcap is screwed on tight, it should seal out water fine. This is a very high-quality light and all my customers seem to be happy with it thus far.

Oh, there is a mistake in the title. The actual diving limit is 50 meters. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for your input!

Pardon . . . what do you mean by "floody"?

This light is using a SSC P7 LED. The information is in accordance with the manufacturer specs. However, I'll try to personally test run this light and see if the manufacturer specs are correct or not since you see some discrepancies with the information. Also, I've sold a few of these already and I haven't had any problems with flooding so far. As long as the tailcap is screwed on tight, it should seal out water fine. This is a very high-quality light and all my customers seem to be happy with it thus far.

Oh, there is a mistake in the title. The actual diving limit is 50 meters. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for your input!

If you can no longer edit your post, you could ask a mod to change that for you.

By floody I mean the beam is likely to be a flood light pattern rather than a spot light pattern. In other words a wider beam. Probably OK for tropical clear waters and maybe not so with limited viz waters.

I'd be interested in seeing a dive report. It's listed on ebay as well as it's clear that who ever posted the ad doesn't understand dive lights so it doesn't inspire confidence. In the title description is the phrase "hid rite light" It's not a HID since it's an led and they much have gotten the "rite" part from copying something from Dive Rite. Who knows but it's nonsense.

Regarding a two hour burn time on high with (1) 18650 it can't.

18650 2500mA battery at 4.2 V = 10.5 wH

This light is using a SSC P7 and would have to be driven at 2.8A to have a change of outputting 900 lumens so 3.6V * 2.8A = 10.08 wH

As you can see it can't last anymore than 1 hour and that not allowing for drive efficiency which is usually in the .85 .90 range.

This is if high is actually high meaning that it is a constant current driver outputting the same 900 lumens for the entire hour. If the light is gradually dimming then of course it can last for however long but then it's not 900 lumens for 2 hours as advertised.

In spite of all that perhaps it's an appropriate dive light for someone. It's not off to a good start however.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom