Frustrated! Losing weight & wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've lost a bunch of weight over the past 18 months and have gone through 4 wetsuits.

Last month I finally reached my goal and was psyched to buy my last wetsuit this week at the LDS sale - I want a 5mm because along with the weight loss, I've become a wimp and can't do 2 60-min dives in 80F without getting cold in a 3mm!

I then went away with my family for a week and gained 10 lbs back. 10 lbs! Who does **** like that?! Me, I guess :(

Anyway, I really just wanted to vent and share my frustration about needing a wetsuit that fits when your weight fluctuates.

My next dive trip is November so I guess I'll hold off as long as I can before making a wetsuit purchase to see if I can get my weight to stabilize.

Well first of all congrats on the weightloss. That is not easy. As far as wetsuits....4 is far too many. No wonder you're frustrated. I purchase a Henderson Hyperstretch and it functions like 'buffet pants'. 10 lbs either way doesn't bother it.

5 mm is like control top panty hose for the bod. My hyperstretch is 5mm and I used it in Galapagos for 72 degree weather it was well worth it. I personally don't like to wear a suit....80 degrees requires a 1 mm short and rashguard...see that fat you had before did help out somewhat!

Good luck and once again congrats.

Well to explain the 4 wetsuits, that was over a weight loss of 110 lbs. They really were needed :wink:

Thanks for your thoughts and its good to know you can wear your hyperstretch suit +/- 10 lbs :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Congrats on such an amazing accomplishment! As someone who has lost and gained the same 10 lbs (seemingly) 100 times, I love my Henderson 3mm hyperstretch suit too :) I actually have a couple of them. When I'm a little thinner and I need a little extra layer, I throw on a Henderson 17 oz. superior polyolefin dive skin underneath. [FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]I don't have to add any weight and it makes all the difference. [/FONT]

You are awesome to have the discipline and determination to lose 110 lbs! Over the past 10 years, my wt. Has fluctuated about 10 lbs in either direction(usually not the direction I would like). I have both a 5 mm Waterproof wetsuit and a 3 mm Henderson Hyperstretch wetsuit. The 3 mm fits looser and is more 'forgiving' whether I am bloated or on one of my wt. swings. While a loose fitting wetsuit can be ineffective, I will occasionally wear my looser fitting 3 mm with a 2 mm Henderson vest or my Thermacore vest(personally, I like the Henderson vest better). I get the extra thermal protection while 'snugging' up the neck of my main wetsuit. Sure I may look like MC Hammer, but it has worked:)

Have you saved all your wetsuits? If your weight fluctuated just wear the one that seems to fit best. Problem solved?

Congrats on the weight loss - I too REALLY fluctuate - I absolutely love my Henderson Hyperstretch and it fits +/-20lbs but it helps that I am only 5'3.

Or if you already had a favorite 5mm that was too big you could make a trip to Monterey and visit Otter Bay Wetsuits. She can take in your suit for a custom fit no problem. B.

Back
Top Bottom