Frontal Sinus Equalization

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaticj10

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I've asked previously a somewhat similar question, but does the valsalva manoeuvre equalize frontal sinus pressure, or is this done "automatically"? I have had previous troubles with this part of my sinus but managed to dive to 16M and 21M before without issue apart from some blood in my mask on ascent. I only equalize twice down to 6M on average and am wondering whether equalizing, quite literally, constantly on the descent to this depth would help my sinuses equalize.

Thanks!

I just had my right frontal sinus refuse to equalize....twice at 7ft ice pick stabbing pain....finally gave in and went to an ENT who cleared a cyst/polyp that was completely blocking the fundus/neck opening of that frontal sinus with a small wire and balloon that deflated the obstruction...just did first dive after procedure and sinuses and ears cleared/equalized easily with Valsalva pressure....critical that a reverse block does not occur or you are screwed trying to ascend, so if are having troubles going down; stop.....

Sinuses and eustachian tubes to middle ear are pressurized with Valsalva...common airway...I recommend a gentle Valsalva at surface and frequently in first 30ft, as that is where the pressure change is most abrupt....get deep and seldom need to push air in...

I instead do NOT recommend Valsalva at all, in general, and particularly for clearing a partially obstructed sinus. Valsalva can produce a very high pressure, which can effectively force open a blocked sinus.
But this required extra pressure can be very dangerous for the eardrums, which risk to be extroflected.
Another way of getting proper pressure without too much risk is using the Frenzel manouvre, which does not involve lungs in creating pressure.
A proper Frenzel requires no reg in mouth and lips closed, so, if the sinus is blocked, you have to suspend breathing briefly, perform the Frenzel, and then get the reg back in your mouth.
Not fast, not practical, but safer than a powerful Valsalva...
If the sinus blockage repeats, you need to see an ENT for opening it permanently.
A sinus which does not vent spontaneously can be the basis of other medical issues.

Back
Top Bottom