front zip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Kay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm having trouble finding a front zip shorty, I already know that Henderson makes them, but there are no shops within a hundred miles that has one.

My question is: Why are front zips not more popular than back zip? Why would anyone pick a back zip over a front zip?

I"ve been diving 50 years and never worn a wet suit but think I might get one for my next bucket list trip to avoid stings. I tried on back zip suits and though I was going to dislocate my arms.

It can be kind of hard to get your shoulders out of a front zip suit.

Ever had a zip bite that loose but of skin at the front of your neck.

I've often thought about water ingress around the neck line with front zip, it seems back zip it's easier to get a good seal.

What BRT said. You can get out of a back-zip by yourself but may need help with a front-zip.
Huh?

Nothing is easier. . . My Henderson has a zipper that goes down the left leg. Compare that to the contortions to reach that damn zipper in your back. . . Besides if you run naturally warm, it's way too easy to unzip the front and cool off.

I'm having trouble finding a front zip shorty, I already know that Henderson makes them, but there are no shops within a hundred miles that has one.

My question is: Why are front zips not more popular than back zip? Why would anyone pick a back zip over a front zip?

I"ve been diving 50 years and never worn a wet suit but think I might get one for my next bucket list trip to avoid stings. I tried on back zip suits and though I was going to dislocate my arms.
So buy it from an online retailer with a 'reasonable' return policy. . How about Leisure Pro: Henderson Thermoprene 3mm Men's Shorty (Front Zip)

I'm broad and chubby; I can't get a back zip zipped without help; my 3 mm front zip shorty is wonderful (and a Henderson thermoprene). Not sure why a back zip would ever be easier to get in & out of. I've got a Henderson 5 mm thermoprene back zip full wetsuit; can't zip it up, but I can unzip & get out of it.

I solo dive some so it's an issue. I, too, am curious as to why back zip is so predominant. I gather many leaner people can zip them without too much trouble.

Richard.

Oh, if by any chance a 'rash guard' type full suit that's very thin, not insulating but some protection (I'm guessing against stings; nothing I know of's tried to sting me in mine), negligible effect on buoyancy and very light, I got a front zip Henderson Lycra Hotskin. Even wore it to the beach one day because my lower legs got roasted by the sun on a previous day.

Richard.

I own a shortie and it's a front zip. Never had any problem at all getting in and out. As a matter of fact, my last three wetsuits have all been shortie front zips. Wouldn't have it any other way.

I admit to having trouble getting out of a front zip mares 3mm (full length) suit I tried a few month ago. It fit seemingly perfect, but I just could not peal out of the shoulders. Even tried pushing the neoprene off the first shoulder with a book (was at hand, looked like it would do no damage). No matter what contortions I tried (not that I would be good at any of that), it was a no go. Needed help. Returned it as it needs to work for me when solo.

Back
Top Bottom