From the "Wish I'd thought of that" file, an integrated camera/dive light (Mera from Tovatec)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rollin Bonz

*insert catchy phrase here*
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
If there is any particulate in the water at all, a light that can be well to the side of the camera will give vastly better results.

In other words, personally I would much rather have an inexpensive SJCam action cam and a separate inexpensive video light (or 2) on an inexpensive tray. Could probably do it all for less than what this MERA costs, too.

But, if you're only diving where the water is always really clear, then the convenience of the MERA might win.

If there is any particulate in the water at all, a light that can be well to the side of the camera will give vastly better results.

In other words, personally I would much rather have an inexpensive SJCam action cam and a separate inexpensive video light (or 2) on an inexpensive tray. Could probably do it all for less than what this MERA costs, too.

But, if you're only diving where the water is always really clear, then the convenience of the MERA might win.

All true. Hadn't considered the particulate issue. And it probably needs a lower price point to make worth a shot.

Besides the backscatter issue posted above it will probably be shaky video since you're only using one hand. Next time you night dive - see how much your dive light bounces around. Even the gopro's get better results when used with a tray.

1000 lumens is not a lot except for night use. My buddy shoots with 5000 lumens and could use more.

It seems like a solution in search of a problem.

Got to try this out camera/light the other day over at Catalina Island during a few day dives. I am by no means a pro when it come to taking video but I was really happy with the quality of the video. For the average diver just starting out with doing underwater photo or video I would suggest this set-up for them. Can't wait to try this on my next night dive.

Got to try this out camera/light the other day over at Catalina Island during a few day dives. I am by no means a pro when it come to taking video but I was really happy with the quality of the video. For the average diver just starting out with doing underwater photo or video I would suggest this set-up for them. Can't wait to try this on my next night dive.

Cool! Ease of use seems to be a definite plus.

I am so happy to hear you say that @DDiverDarrick! I've just purchased the Tovatec Mera as a Christmas gift for my husband.

I have been trying to figure out what accessories to buy for it and I would appreciate your input, see the link below:

Buying Xmas Present for my Husband and I Have a Few Questions

Besides the backscatter issue posted above it will probably be shaky video since you're only using one hand. Next time you night dive - see how much your dive light bounces around. Even the gopro's get better results when used with a tray.

1000 lumens is not a lot except for night use. My buddy shoots with 5000 lumens and could use more.

It seems like a solution in search of a problem.

The camera includes "ESI anti-shake" technology, see the link below. I am not familiar with that technology, do you know if it usually works okay to help steady a video camera?

Tovatec Mera Light + Camera 1000 Lumen Torch

Here is a video demonstrating everything that comes with the Tovatec Mera dive light camera; it looks pretty straightforward:

Back
Top Bottom