From Kansai and making my first trip to Ishigaki/Nago

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nanjarou

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post on this board. I saw all the great information and local knowledge on this board which I couldn't find elsewhere. よろしくお願いいたします.

I'm coming from Kobe and making my first trip to Okinawa this Golden Week (Apr 25-May 2, and believe me I would have picked a better time to come if I weren't bound to my schedule).

I'm a spearfisher first and a diver second but recently for the past year I've been crazy about scuba diving. Living in Kansai and working full time makes it difficult to get out there but this year my new years resolution was to make a Scuba Diving trip once a month and spearfishing trips twice a month. So far it's been off to a good start. As an example of what I do on my weekends: This weekend I'll be spending my first day in Kushimoto, Wakayama for scuba and then next day in Awaji for spearfishing (and I definitely make a clear separation between the two!).

My regular diving location is Kushimoto, 19 km from the now infamous Taiji area. It's dry suits for sure as it's bitter cold up here. I have been dreaming about being able to swim in a thin wet suit for the last half a year!

Back on topic: I want to spend most of my trip in Ishigaki and the last couple days in Nago. I'm a 23 year old teacher and my budget is quite tight. I've been eating canned fish and white rice for lunch everyday to save money for this trip. I'd like to get some tips for my travel plans for those more experienced!

1) Which dive masters/instructors have good rapport and rates (it seems I've been reading some good things about 'japan-diver') but just to keep an open mind I'd like to get some good recommendations! I can go with English or Japanese speaking dive masters.

2) What is the best place to stay? Do dive centers have some cheap bunk beds I can crash in or is it better to stay at some hostels like Yanbuzeeena, Yashima Youth Hostel or Penshon?

3) Is spearfishing allowed in Ishigaki? How do the fishermen see it? Would you recommend bringing a travel pole spear to Ishigaki or are cheap ones available at tsuri stores?

4) What's there to do in Ishigaki at night?

5) How easy is it to get around Ishigaki? Are there bikes available for rent?

6) At the end of April, will a 1.5mm full body wet suit suffice? I'm bringing only a backpack so I need to travel as light as possible.

If you've read all the way down here thank you so much for your time! I appreciate any piece of information as I'm purchasing my tickets within the next few days!

Doumo Arigatougozaima****a!

Spearfishing with anything but a pole spear is illegal in Okinawa/Ishigaki although the spears are sold at most fishing stores it is frowned upon at most shore diving sites and common snorkeling spots and I know of no boats that will allow it.

During Golden Week most hostels and guest houses are booked out weeks in advance so make reservations early- dive shops will also book out early (including us). There are bikes and scooters for rent on Ishigaki and many guest houses have free bikes for use by the guests. The main city in Ishigaki has bars and snacks to go to at night but the further you get away from there it gets very rural very quick.

Water temp right now is 22.4C (just out from a night dive) on Okinawa, probably a degree or so warmer in Ishigaki. A bit cold for a 1.5mm I think. By Golden Week we can hope for maybe 1 or 2C warmer maybe.

Hi Nanjarou,
Did you know the Japan Coast Guard releases ocean surface temperature maps on a daily basis?
http://www1.kaiho.mlit.go.jp/KANKYO/KAIYO/qboc/2010cal/tp0/qboc2010057tp0.html
According to this map, water temp reads 25deg centigrade for Ishigaki on 25th Mar. Warm enough to go diving in 3mm wetsuits comfortably, at least for me. With your youth diving in 1.5mm shouldn't be uncomfortable, and if you're feeling cold, bring a rash guard to wear underneath.
(Ishigaki Jima is the tear-drop shaped island to the east of Taiwan. actually has a lower latitude compared to Taipei!)

As for your mode of transportation, both rent-a-cycle and rent-a-bike (the Japanese "bike" means its got a motor, as you know) are available. Google "石垣島 レンタル バイク" and you might find what you want. I found this place(linked below), rents bicycles for 1,000yen/day, motor bikes for 2,500yen/day. You might want to go googling for a better deal.
http://ishigaki.net/nangokuya/

Don't forget to try the "Ya'e-yama soba"(八重山そば/やえやまそ&#12400:wink:. Deceiving the name may be, the noodles are made with wheat flour, not buckwheat flour like the regular soba. General description of Okinawan "soba" is; wheat flour based noodles, glutenized with lye water, are cooked in bonito broth and typically topped with cooked pork. Regional difference in preparation gives each region their own "soba" style. ie. Miyako-soba for Miyakojima area, Kumejima-soba for Kumejima area, Ya'e-yama-soba for Yaeyama area (includes Ishigaki, Taketomi and Iriomote). You'll probably run into the word "sohki"(ソー&#12461:wink:, meaning Okinawan style spare ribs, a popular soba topping.

Hope this helps.
Kaza

That map also has Okinawa at 23C and the water temp yesterday was 21C- so I would not count on Ishigaki being 25C just yet!!

That map also has Okinawa at 23C and the water temp yesterday was 21C- so I would not count on Ishigaki being 25C just yet!!

Good point!

Awesome guys! Thanks SO much for all the help. It seems I'm gonna love Ishigaki. I have an underwater heat pack that lasts an hour. I think that plus the 1.5mm and I have another lycra for an inner layer should be perfect.

One more random thought I have:

Has anyone ever tried bring a travel pole spear on a domestic flight via checked in luggage? Mine breaks down into 3 smaller poles of around 2 feet in length and I can pack it into my rucksack with fins and other gear. However, I'm not sure how domestic customs may see this type of thing.

As japan diver said using a pole spear isn't illegal but I wonder what authorities feel about it.

Thanks again!

Hello from Tokyo

I believe it's OK, as long as you pack the pole spear so that its not readily visible.

Your luggage allowance for economy class is 20kg in Japan, with total linear dimensions 203cm
or less. Excess baggage charges may be applied, but how stringently may vary.

As long as you're within the weight restrictions, size restrictions are generally waived for select sports equipment (ie surfboards, scuba gear, etc), but you should contact the airline checkin office in advance to secure the space for your luggage.

Items generally not accepted are explosive, corrosive, perishable substances and breakable/expensive items. Boxcutters, knives, and other "arsenals" are accepted as long as the item/s are appropriately packed/protected.

I'm not familiar with how airlines will handle dismantled spears, so if you're really concerned, you may want to ask an airline rep.
I hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom