Frogfish and octopus in NC in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WinfieldNC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
DSCI4890 (2).JPG
While diving on the John D. Gill yesterday I came across these two. John D. Gill is 25 miles offshore in about 90 feet of water. Diving with Aquatic Safaris out of Wilmington, NC.
DSCI4920 (1).JPG
DSCI4919-1 (2).JPG
DSCI4892 (2).JPG

Hey @Steve_C I thought you might like to see these. Good seeing you yesterday.

Two great finds. Thanks for sharing.

Those oscellated frog fish are cool and vary a lot.

I know they can change colors easily but that octopus somehow looks different from the ones I have seen in NC. Is it still the common atlantic octopus?

Two great finds. Thanks for sharing.

Those oscellated frog fish are cool and vary a lot.

I know they can change colors easily but that octopus somehow looks different from the ones I have seen in NC. Is it still the common atlantic octopus?

I’m not sure what kind of octopus it is. The false eye spots are very pronounced. I did a little googling and came across the California two spot octopus but that’s obviously the wrong coast. Maybe someone else will know. Who’s an octopus expert on here?

Cannot answer your octopus question, but have questions about the John D. Gill. Going to be in Wilmington area next week. Never dived there as we are cold wussies. Do you recommend a dive shop I can contact for current conditions?

Cannot answer your octopus question, but have questions about the John D. Gill. Going to be in Wilmington area next week. Never dived there as we are cold wussies. Do you recommend a dive shop I can contact for current conditions?
Aquatic Safaris is the shop I use in Wilmington. They run a larger boat that holds more people but their prices are so much more reasonable than the six pack boats that I don’t care. They are a professional group and have always had good experiences.

Back
Top Bottom