Friends heading to Oregon and looking for dive info.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taiwanate

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello,

I have two former students that are still fresh (14 dives) that will be visiting home in Oregon in June and want to do some diving. They are considering doing the drysuit course but since they currently live in Taiwan where the waters are warmer, I was hoping to get some locals opinions on whether or not it is needed or a wetsuit will suffice. The reason for me not saying to definitely do the drysuit course right now is that I fear if they take the course and dive for a couple of days and then have a long (few years) break before being in the cold water environment again, would they really retain the information and would it be of value to take now or when they move back to the region. If it is too cold to wear a wetsuit, can anyone recommend some good shops to go through for both the course and diving for them? Also, can anyone tell me what the water temps usually are in June?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Nate

If it's just for a couple of days, I'd have them dive in a wetsuit ... preferably a 7mm farmer john or semidry type suit works just fine in June ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree with Bob- if it's just for a couple of days they could tough out a 7mm farmer john. Ocean temps in June will most likely be in the upper 40s, so a lot of it will depend on their personal cold tolerance. If they plan ahead with containers of hot water, or bring along a crab cooker to make neoprene soup, they can get a couple of dives out of a day. Which part of Oregon will they be based out of?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom