Friction while layering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captain Hardhead

Registered
Reaction score
What is the best way to reduce friction between layers when layering wet suits?

Is to wear ONE suit (multi-piece or not) that is well fitted
and appropriate to the conditions.

If you need to start layering wet suits to remain warm then
you need a thicker/better fitted suit OR a dry suit.

I understand your logic, but I have also noticed that layering seems to be an accepted alternative. In my case, I have a 1/0.5 suit and a 3/2 suit. I will be traveling to Florida this weekend and I thought I could double up if I get cold in my3/2. I am new to diving and don't know my tolerence level for the different temperatures yet. I have heard of people using baby shampoo but that seems like you would be leaving a bubble trail. I have also heard of talc, but don't know what kind.

3/2 should be fine for Florida this time of year. If its a good one or fits you good. You could layer the other underneath with out a problem and I wouldnt worry about friction between the 2 suits. Actually the only way your going to have friction is if the suits dont fit properly. Even then the only thing I could see happening is more water will be transferred in and out which could make you colder. Take them both but wear just the 3/2 to start out with. Have fun on your dives and dive safe!!!:)

Thanks ... I will be diving some Fort Lauderdale wrecks, a couple at 90 ft. I will start with my 3/2. Both are tight fits as I have started adding my winter fat.

What you want to start with is a good fitting full suit. If needed, you can add a very thin vest. This is much the same as adding a T-shirt under a warm sweater. Over your suit, you can add a sleeveless stepin. This will put the same amount of protection on your torso as a John and Jacket.

Be careful when you are layering. Materials, such as the Henderson Gold Core gain their warmth by being in contact with your skin. The most improtant thing is to have a very good fitting core suit.

Remember, at least 20% of your body heat is lost from your head. Be sure that you have a very good fitting hood. Another, source of heat loss is your feet. A nice paIr of neoprene socks will add to your warmth.

Hope that you stay warm

I had a great trip. The water temp was 81 at 100 ft. I was perfectly comfortable in my 3/2. BTW, I used the deep dive to complete my advanced certification. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will be diving in the Gulf of Mexico on some rig dives next, so I will be trying these suggestions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom