Freshwater quarry dives are boring. Nothing to see here, move along

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All the fun is above the thermocline! Enjoyed the video.

I've never dived a quarry. But this is much less boring than I would have expected.

Portsmouth where? NH? VA? Bare hands, bare heads may mean it's not New England, nor Minnesota..

Is that a quarry or a lake? The video says "lake," but the title of your post says "quarry." Lakes can be okay, but I do find quarries boring because they feel artificial.

The video was all shot during one 48 minute dive last weekend. Portsmouth Mine Lake is in northern Minnesota near the town of Crosby, in the Brainerd lakes area. My DC recorded temperatures as low as 69 F and a max depth of 19'. It was warmer than that near the surface where most of the video was shot.

Like the surrounding lakes, Portsmouth was an iron mine that has since been abandoned and allowed to flood. Whether it is better understood as a quarry or a lake is a philosophical question.

Portsmouth is said to be 400 feet deep. On a later dive (in 7mm and with gloves) I went as far as 95'. It was 39F and there were pine trees with their needles still on. At 95' there was a black layer and I did not descend further because of the risk of entanglement in 0 viz.

Click bait. Nice video. Most of our dives have been in quarry’s (man made lakes). Your visibility looks great. Our last quarry dive visibility was around 5 feet.

I've never dived a quarry. But this is much less boring than I would have expected.

Portsmouth where? NH? VA? Bare hands, bare heads may mean it's not New England, nor Minnesota..

Most of the quarries I have dived in Missouri did not look anything like the video. Boring was an understatement: Rocks, rocks, and more rocks, with the occasional abandoned hunk of machinery, discarded toilet or kitchen appliance being the primary source of entertainment.

Back
Top Bottom