Freshwater, playing by the rules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowviz

Solo Diver
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It looks to me like I'm totally jammed when it comes to spearfishing (on scuba) in inland fresh waters. Lakes, rivers, streams. (Delaware or New Jersey)

Any honest (totally legal) sites??? What am I missing? I'm good with the tidal bays and inlets, but looking for something closer like the Delaware river...

OK, this is bizarre. It seems that my home state has no spear or spearfishing regulations on paper. Note this quote:

"I live in delaware and have recently got into spear fishing.... not being able to find any regulation online or on paper I called DNREC. Delaware actually dosent have any regulations on paper for spear fishing so they just follow there fishing laws for size and creal limits. This goes the same for fresh and salt water. Hope this helps!"

So I live near a little stream that is stocked with trout at announced times. It is for kids (and one or two days are closed for the disabled). You can't even cast into the water, that would put you into the weeds on the other bank. My trout license allows me to fish there (I don't). So I can spear my limit there? I don't think so. This is another case of "don't ask, don't tell".

Here are the rules and regs for my area:
FW Recreational Fishing Size, Seasons, and Creel Limits

I find them quite generous. So I am conflicted. Should I pursue validation for intelligent spearing and spearfishing guidelines (with the possibility of losing everything) or just shut-up and shoot?

Yeah, one of my reasonable options is to shut-up, play by both the rules and intent of the rules, and shoot.

The problem is that approach opens the door for someone to abuse their privileges so badly that hard rules are put into effect in a reactionary and punitive manner. Spearos walk a narrow line as it is. I am both a fisherman and a diver. I know just how frustrated and resentful inlet fishermen become when a dive flag begins its long trip up the inlet. They all have to reel in their lines to let it pass while being convinced the diver either shot or scared away all the fish.

Several notable towns in NJ work very hard to accommodate both. See image below. Delaware appears to have nothing in place, I fear what would be legislated if we had an incident such as the current mess at Blue Heron Bridge in Florida.

I remain conflicted.

shark_river_rules.jpg

Back
Top Bottom