Freshwater gobies in Texas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrispete

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
OK, I was down at the local mudhole last Thursday and ran across what looked exactly like a goby, about an inch long, and pale in color sitting on the bottom. I watched it for a few seconds and it finally darted off under some vegatation. I surfaced from the dive, logged what I had seen, and figured I was losing my mind. On Saturday I was in a pet store and lo and behold, they had freshwater gobies there. Now that I know they do exist, does anyone have any info to ID them with?

Its possible.

It would help if you had a picture. My book is at home (where I am not). I'll try to remember to look next chance I get.

I have class tonight and I won't be home until late.

TwoBit

It may have been a darter.

Texas has several. Also consider it is possible someone dumped their aquarium into the pond and the fish survived.

That would not be a first.

TwoBit

It is suspected that the Gobies came from the ballast tanks of ocean going ships that also ply Great Lakes waters.

There could be all kinds of reasons you saw that goby. It could be you were mistaken and wrongly i.d' it (but i dont think so - just making this a vector), It was introduced - either accidentally or deliberate by some idiot(as most know, the introduction of a non native species can destroy an ecosystem). Or you may have found a species brand new to science.
The most exciting one would be the latter wouldn't it?? But its more likely introduced.

Which local mudhole? Should I be looking for them in TL? I need a new photo subject! :)

Back
Top Bottom